Saturday, October 7, 2023

left eye first

The last time I saw Jackie, she told me about a cleaner she'd used on her headlights.
Knowing how much I'm in love with my car, she looked up the info on the one she'd used, then texted it to me.
That was almost a month ago, but I've kept the link to remind me.
On Friday, in between the Fiesta and "The Addams Family", I'd bounced southside for "Paw Patrol, The Mighty Movie"... and then to Walmart for the cleaner.
They had one package of it on the shelf.
Right place, right time.
 
This balmy afternoon was the one chosen for the change.
 
I watched the application video from Cerakote three times, to be comfortable with the total procedure, the order of the steps, and the materials to be used.
 
Before starting, one must wash the lens over the headlights.
No problem, I did that last night.
 
The next step involved a three-part packet and stressed the importance of wearing gloves.
 
Amazingly, those disposable gloves were included!
 
I donned a glove on my right hand and took an "oxidization removal" cloth from the packet.
 
I rubbed that cloth in a circular motion over the entire lens of my Saturn's left eye.
 
As it became nasty and yellow, I disposed of that cloth and opened the second portion of the packet, repeating the circular rubbing with the fresh cloth.
 
I did it one last time, using the third cloth.
 
I was so pleased with how much better that eye looked!
 
Then I disposed of the glove and rinsed the lens of any residues of the cleanser.
She was looking better already; no wonder they said that was the most satisfying step!
 
The next one involved sanding that lens, first with a little rougher paper, then with a finer grit.
 
Those papers, and the sanding paper holder, were included in the kit, too.
 
I did as instructed, going in linear motions and making sure the paper and the lens were wet with water the whole time of that step.
 
More oxidized material was removed, but the result was not nearly as nice as the first step had been.
 
Time to dry the surfaces before the third step.
 
That step involved wearing a glove again for the application of the ceramic clear coating to the lens.
 
The cloth had to be moved in a linear motion, just as the sanding had been, with care taken to overlap the runs by fifty percent to insure even coverage.
 
This was the part that made me the most anxious.
 
What if I missed a spot, what to do then?
 
I found out the coating is so shiny that any missed area shows up at once, for easy remedy.
 
The entire process, even as slowly as I went, took only fifteen minutes.
The coating then had to cure for at least an hour before it was set enough that the car could be driven.
 
Good thing that I had no plans elsewhere tonight!
 
All I had on the agenda was watching "Renfield", as it was free for me on Peacock TV.
 
So, I watched the video again...
snapped this photo of the left eye clear of cataracts, while the other most definitely still has them...
and went ahead and did the right eye.
 
I can't wait to see how much brighter my path will be at night!
 
Not tonight, though.
 
The two renewed eyes have to cure... and I have two Nicholases to watch!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Get this: Jackie and I can telepath to each other!
Well, maybe not entirely...
but I certainly received a message through the air tonight from her!
After coming home from WNS in the dark, I had taken that photo of my car - with the left eye done and the right eye not yet - and sent it to Jackie, along with thanks for telling me about Cerakote.
She replied, "I was wondering if I was going to hear from you about it. I mean like right now while I was driving to the museum."
I texted back,"Maybe you were telepathing and I "got" it!"
She really liked that.
Me, too!