Monday, October 16, 2023

1001

"You speaking in binary now?"

Not hardly. Can you imagine how utterly boring that would be? An alphabet of two numbers? There would have to be a lot of body english going on to hold any interest.

"Well, just what is up with that number?"

It's the number of miles I've driven since exactly two months ago. The odometer reads 231231 now, making a difference of 1,001 in the mileage.

"You're kidding! You haven't been anywhere, so how could that be?"

Beg pardon? I've been to Hinesville twice, once for a trip to the zoo and then for Chloe's bday5. I've driven out to Tybee Beach three times, for a one-man play, to seek some solace with the sunset, and to do a victory dance with fellow Native Americans. I've also taken a trip to the edge of Skidaway Island to its aquarium. I even drove to the Royal of Pooler for some Bollywood at one point! Oh, yes, and the three rambles out to Georgetown for Dawn's battery check, her building of treats, and the actual party.

"Wow. That's a bit more than I'd thought you'd done."

Well, there are several trips downtown, too, but I didn't list all those. Nor did I speak yet of all the miles journeying to the southside to watch movies. That's a fifteen-mile round trip each and every time. That's why I try to watch double headers, or at least plan to fill up the gas tank or shop at Aldi's or that Publix while I'm out there.

"Yeah, I hear ya. That's been a bummer. At least the Truman Parkway helps make the drive more enjoyable, skipping all those traffic lights."

Nope. I know that's the myth, but the math doesn't bear it out. I've counted the lights and I hit the same number - the same exact number! - whether I stay on the roads or use the parkway to travel to various sites on the south. Truly. The parkway is a faster way to go, but I still have to run the gauntlet of the same number of traffic lights.

"That's amazing."

Isn't it, though? The myths we tell ourselves are just that: myths. Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm going to watch "The Mask" again. I've used my $1 Weekend Movie Night reward from Comcast to see that Jim Carrey treat. This time, I found it hilarious that Cameron Diaz is playing a talented jazz songbird! Remember how bad her singing voice really is? Because that was her singing in "My Best Friend's Wedding". What a great sport she was about it! I just may watch that one afterward... yep, I just might!

No comments: