Tuesday, May 23, 2023

23 may '23

TCB, and a luncheon, and even a cultural event!

Yes, I would call this a Tina Tuesday, even without a cinema movie!

First off, I had a special luncheon with my first niece!
It was at one of our favorite places, too: Cancun.
That restaurant had been closed for months, due to a fire in the kitchen.
Thanks to fb, I found out it was again open - hooray!
Here she is, posing for a photo to her Uncle Jeff.
She looks like she's wearing a crown...
but that's just the artwork on the wall.
It's all a matter of perspective!
How was it that the ex was involved?
Well, she sells seashells by the... no, that's someone else.
She sells Paparazzi jewelry and one of her friends through that business has recently married a guy who used to be in radio and who may have known Jeff and definitely knew Sam, so did Jeff know him?
Jeff did not.
Bear in mind that he's been out of the biz here for sixteen years, and Sam has been dead for fourteen years.
That's been a while.

She and I made our future plans - "The Little Mermaid" is in cinemas this week! - then parted with our big hugs that Mama taught us.
(smile!)

I bopped over to Publix, as it was right there.
(Inside joke for the physicist!)
And guess what?
They had my favorite hotdogs on sale!!!
So I stocked up on those Ballpark Smoked White Meat Turkey Franks, you betcha!
Two packs for the fridge, and another two for the freezer.
That wasn't the only treat there for me: cherries!!!
It's as if they knew my birthday was drawing near and wanted me to have my favorite foods to celebrate the occasion.
i thank You, God.

My plan had been to take in a movie after that excursion.
However, the underwear drawer is down to the panties I don't really like.
Time to wash clothes!!!
I debated with myself about washing bedding and curtains... nope!
So I gathered up the regular loads and off I went, to the place that was once Nami's.
There was one other person there, probably about my age, so we chatted a bit.
I finished up mine before she did, though.
Hey, I've been going to laundromats since I was ten... lots of practice!

Next up was a bit of culture to round out the day!
I had thought it was to be a lecture and reception... nope!
Just the first part, so dinner would be the baked potato and chili from last night
(Thanks, again, little brother!)
Still, I did get to enjoy a bit of art before the talk.
I was investigating the art of the speaker, Wioleta Kaminska, before even entering the museum.
That's because the annual "Boxed In/Break Out" selection is installed in the exterior windows of the Jepson, those facing Barnard Street, to truly serve as art for the community to enjoy.
This time, those six windows held "Retreating", photographs taken by the artist while on residence in Iceland in June and July of last year.
As I walked past, I caught my image reflected against that backdrop of ice and snow, pausing briefly to snap this picture.
It wasn't until later that I appreciated the overlay of the modern street scene, with someone's van and the brick sidewalk, onto the ancient landscape photographed a year ago.
What an extra element of interest, combining the old and the new and the self!
Perhaps that thought was inspired by another artwork I'd viewed while waiting for the talk to begin.
 
The room galleries were closed off, but the halls still contained pieces, most by students.
This one, especially, drew me in.
Titled "Discovery", it featured a beagle in a boat, taking a closer look at a lily pad which turned out to be a hat that concealed a mermaid, with most of her still underwater and unseen.
How very like an iceberg, I'd thought, drawing closer.
And here's the thing: the longer I looked at it, the more detail I saw.
What an excellent piece!
Thank you, high school junior Laura Shweiky!
And here's another museum offering with unexpected perks.
"Red Kneeling Figure" has been an item of interest for me for years, though it does seem to get moved around a good bit.
This location was perfect today.
Juxtaposed between the distant spires of St. John's Cathedral, as well as the statue of "Mother and Child" on the outdoor patio, it made for a spiritual interlude for the day.
All three structures are beautiful individually, but together they offer a composite tone so much larger. 
The wonders of serendipity and an invisible guiding force...
I think I'll have to suggest that they leave the piece there.
I know I would love to visit it there again.
(smile)
 
Now, to enjoy what may be my last evening with Showtime movies.
Which ones to view this time?
I'll let you know!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Pufflings!!!
I found the article in Smithsonian about the children saving the baby puffins!
Hooray!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/icelandic-town-goes-all-out-save-baby-puffins-180981518/