Sunday, May 7, 2023

someone's mother, granting me music

It was Aaron Levy's mother, bequeathing this gift to the city of Savannah, for all.
Time had come for the Jack and Miriam Levy Memorial Concert, a free annual music event at the JEA, with the Fabulous Equinox Orchestra and three singers from the Savannah Voice Festival, with a wide variety of favorites to brighten spirits.
Hallelujah!
I'd spread the word to mi amigas, but Barbara was the only one who came.
Still, there were plenty of folks I knew there!
From my years as a Lucas volunteer, there were Jeff and Linda, as well as Maxine and Don "Trouble" Patterson - hooray!
From my years as a Savannah Music Festival volunteer came Alan and Leslie - hooray!
From my years at Asbury Memorial Church were Kathy and Preston Hodges - hooray!
From my attendance at this year's SJCAF was Katie Griffin - hooray!
And from years at MENSA dinners and parties was Flo - hooray!
Best of all, Barbara knew the last two, so she got to catch up with them during the dessert intermission, and after the show.
My favorites from the show?
Liz Lang, fresh from New York, doing "Don't Rain On My Parade" - quite upbeat!
Jessica Fishenfeld's "Blackbird", a tune from The Beatles that always soothes me!
Maria Zouves and Clay Johnson's duet of "Sunrise, Sunset", with that extra touch from two people who are parents - nice!
And, perhaps best of all, an Earth, Wind & Fire tune, "Got To Get You Into My Life" that I knew by heart... but had never thought of as a religious hymn...
hmmm...
I may have to suggest that to the folks at my church.
I may even volunteer to perform it.
(smile!)

Now, I'm going to dig into this farmer's dinner.
I've been looking forward to this ever since I ate the first slice of apple strudel at the reception.
Why was it so very tasty?
It was still warm!!!
When I had reached to take it from the tray, I'd been so surprised that I'd turned to Barbara and immediately let her know it was fresh from an oven...
then I grabbed a cookie from each of the trays of different styles.
The strudel was so good I got a second slice, and gobbled it down, confectioner's sugar and all.
The cookies went into my bag as we returned to the show.
Then afterward, the dessert table was still laden!
"Take what you want," we were told, so I'd grabbed two slice of strudel to go, this time without the white dusting of sugar.
Good!
 
Once I got home, I started working on tree trimming in the back yard.
Two hours later, I'd gotten much of the debris hauled to the front yard, for stacking at the curb before the truck comes for it on Wednesday.
What this photo shows is what I'd gathered after the first hour of toil.
Fortunately, the shade was on the yard while I was doing all the cutting and sawing.
Unfortunately, the sun was all over the front yard while I was hauling it to the front.
What a sweaty mess I am!
I look forward to a shower soon, but first...
the two slices of strudel with crispy pastry...
and hunks of cheddar cheese to set off the apples...
and some ice water to wash it all down.
Hallelujah!

No comments: