Monday, May 15, 2023

finishing the season with Scott!

How marvelous!!!
I was able to have my final Savannah Bananas game as I'd had my first of this year: in the company of my favorite Eagle Scout!
Like the Marines, right?
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout.
(smile!)
He had texted earlier, to say a friend of his had four tickets, but wasn't able to go... did I want to?
I told him I already had one, as this was the last of my five allotted games.
Well, did I know anyone who would like to go?
Hey, it was already after 3 PM...
that meant it was pretty short notice for folks to try to get out there and be in line in time to snag seats for the sold-out show.
I told him I was going to be there early anyway, as I had been invited for the 4 PM meet and greet with the top Banana team owner and his new book and I had paid the extra for that.
I could save a seat for Scott, and for whoever else came along with him.
Marvelous game plan!
So, that's the way it went down.
Here I am, posing with Jesse after he signed the book.
Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to flip the book around so the cover was showing.
My thanks to the other patron who volunteered to take my photo!
Jesse then took a group of us on a personal tour, sharing highlights of the team's history, as well as some missteps along the way.
That very much reminded me of Jim Reed's tour of Savannah through the lens of his own history, warts and all.
He also pointed out the historic timeline for Grayson Stadium, which has been updated to include the Bananas, as well as the posters for the famous men of baseball who have played here.
 
The tour eventually wound its way onto the field itself.
That was a highlight for me!
I made sure to tag first base while I was out there.
I would have liked to walk the bases, as I did back in 2012 when I visited the Field of Dreams...
but folks with me for this tour were watching Maceo dance and I didn't want to distract them.
I did take a moment to make sure Jesse knew of Willie's death.
He did, saying he held a tribute for him last weekend and would soon hang the Panhandle Slim painting in the grandstand.
(smile!)
Speaking of dear Mister Willie, I tried to get his seat, and the ones near it, for the game tonight.
Unfortunately, even though I was there and already in the stadium before the gates opened, some others who were with the meet and greet got there and were fully ensconced.
They were from Kentucky, same as the Challenger team, the Florence Y'alls, donned all in pale blue.
That is, the team was in that color, not the tourists.
(smile!)
I snapped this of the Bananas showing them how to dance and let their freak flag fly.
(smile!)
 
Being here this early, I discovered what goes on before the gates allow admission at 5:30 PM: rehearsals of the show, just like for any other theatre troupe.
The Banana Nanas came out and practiced their moves -
the Banana Splits went through their routine about six times -
even the band went onto the field and warmed up.
But not the ballplayers, not on either team.
No tossing of the ball back and forth, no practice pitching, nothing related to baseball.
That part would follow after those early game-watchers were in the stands and on the bleachers and in the picnic area.
Honestly, I have a real appreciation of this as theatre, perhaps cast from the same mold and patterned after the days of vaudeville.
P.T. Barnum would have been proud to have a man on stilts serving up a last pitch and final out!
I'm just glad that the Florence team did manage to post a point on the board - I was cheering for them the last few innings, too!
As I told Scott and Brian and Brian Junior, you don't invite someone to your house and then not let them have a good time, right?
Absolutely!
The Bananas finally won a game, scoring five points, so I guess Scott's pistachios did the trick!
I'm so glad he was there tonight!
And guess what?
No rule-breaking shenanigans for this game.
It was even over before the end of its two-hour time limit, letting me get home before dark.
Wow!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

I had wondered whether the Challenger team was part of a college league or newly formed or just what.
Here's the scoop!
"The Florence Y’alls are Northern Kentucky’s professional baseball team, and are proud members of the independent Frontier League, an MLB Partner League. With a purposeful focus on entertaining our fans, the Y’alls provide affordable, family-friendly entertainment. Y’alls home games are played at Thomas More Stadium, located at 7950 Freedom Way in Florence, Kentucky."
As for the Frontier League, here's their story.
https://frontierleague.com/information/History
They're been around about 30 years, giving folks in the heartland plenty of baseball, on a professional level, to enjoy.
There's even a team in Kalamazoo, Michigan!

And a college team with the Northwoods League in Traverse City, too!
https://northwoodsleague.com/traverse-city-pit-spitters/

The one in Battle Creek even offers a membership like I have - with 5 games, all you can eat and drink (but only for 5 innings), including games on weekends and special nights, for just $85 for the 5-game package.
My package was $125 this year.
https://northwoodsleague.com/battle-creek-battle-jacks/tickets/meijer-kennel-club/