Thursday, May 4, 2023

with thoughts of jedi knights, lisping or not

I have to wonder what the weather was like on Tatooine, home of Skywalker.

Did it fluctuate as much as the spring temperatures have this year?

It was 49 last night, so it was good to sleep with my heated mattress pad on.

Yes, even in May.

This morning, I set about wishing many I knew a happy "May the fourth be with you!" ...

and receiving "And also with you!" in reply!

This bag on the door is for my recyclables, and the reason it looks empty is because I just dumped its contents into the yellow-lidded bin outside.

Tony came by earlier, insisting on paying me for taking care of Dane and Frosty.

He was rather elated and still looked relaxed from their trip, so that's good.

Why was he so happy?

Delta Metals gave him three days of sick pay last week for the days he was at the hospital and recovering (from being so stressed that he thought he was having heart problems).

That meant his paycheck wasn't short - and that he is fortunate to be with such a good, family-oriented company that appreciates his work ethic.

He told me that's the first time he's ever in his life received sick pay.

I gave him a big hug and told him I was so proud of him for having such a great job!

Then he told me he's been to the court house and filed for eviction of Damon, Dylan, and Carissa, and that those papers will be served the middle of next week, with them possibly being out by Memorial Day weekend.

I gave him another big hug for that!

I know the ordeal with his son is not over yet, but I'm glad he took my advice to heart and has done so quickly.

Noah will be coming this summer, and he'll need to have his room back.

(smile)

After the sun left the back yard, I mowed it, a bit of a preemptive action on my part.

The battery even still had a bit of juice when I was done!

(smile!)

Next, in honor of today being synonymous with a certain science fiction franchise, I went on Showtime in search of a movie that would be in keeping with that theme...

as Comcast has rewarded me with a free month of that premium channel...

and, when I changed the filter to "A - Z",  I immediately found such a movie!!!

Titled "5-25-77", and made last year (as what may well have been part of his bday60 celebration), it's the true story of Patrick Read Johnson's "2001: A Space Odyssey"-influenced life of making science fiction movies since he was 9 years old.

This homage to his subsequent quest to see "Star Wars" on its opening day was perfect!

Here's this kid in Wadsworth, Illinois, a town with less than a 1000 people, and when he read that the movie would be showing "in a theater near you", he'd believed it.

The only problem was the nearest cinema, the Genessee Theater in Waukegan, wasn't showing it on their single silver screen.

He ended up waiting almost two weeks - until June 6th - for it to finally get the movie.

Why was he so intent on seeing it?

His mom had set him up with a contact in Hollywood so he could meet Douglas Trumbull, the video effects man for the Stanley Kubrick film that had started his drive to make movies.

Patrick not only met his idol that March of 1977, but also Steven Spielberg and Greg Jein (both working on "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind" with Trumbull).

All three of the men are duly unimpressed with the teen would-be director.

But then he meets John Dykstra, who welcomes him and tells him all about the new movie he's working on and shows him all the model flying craft to be used in it.

Patrick returns to his small town, energized and raring to go!

And go he eventually does, not only to the movie, but back to Hollywood to stay.

Such a good movie!!!

And just perfect for today.

i thank You, God.

No comments: