Saturday, May 6, 2023

a promise, even unto death, to his mom

I was late, or so I thought, but it turned out the timing was perfect.
Minister Murray was going through the acknowledgements as I entered and took a seat at Connor's Temple Baptist Church.
Then a woman came up and sang a religious anthem that started out slow, but gathered steam and energy as it went on to a rousing finish.
"At least I caught that part," I thought.
And when Reverend Sills, the pastor, took the microphone, I had expected a closing benediction and the end of the Home Going Celebration of Mr. Willie Smith, Jr., but that isn't what happened.
He began with the verse from Revelations about all being united with God some day.
Then he went to Ecclesiastes 5:5 "It is better not to promise anything than to promise something and not do it."
That led into his memories of going to baseball games with Willie in years past, to watch the Savannah Braves and the Savannah Sand Gnats, and how much Willie had loved that.
Me, too.
Then he spoke of Willie's dedication to church, being ever present for events there "unless there was a Sand Gnats' game," he said, with a twinkle in his voice.
But there was one exception: he was always there on Sunday.
I knew the backstory for that: Willie had made the promise to his mother that he would always be in church on that day.
No matter if it was a sun-shining, blue-sky, day, perfect for those Sunday afternoon games at Grayson Stadium...
he had promised her to forego baseball on the Lord's day...
and his choice had been to always keep that promise, even unto death.
i thank You, God.
Right place, right time, after all.

I was one of the last ones to file out.
I had tried to search out his niece, Jackie, but didn't find her.
One of Willie's neighbors came up to me, recognizing me as "the girl who would pick him up and take him to the games".
He also introduced me to Willie's son, and I told him how proud his dad was of him, being sure to have folks look him up on the MLB site.
He thanked me for helping to watch over his dad and introduced me to his sister.
I meant to ask about his daughter, Tian, but I didn't see her there.
I did ask about his stepmom, Gloria, and he told me she was not doing well and had not been able to make the trip from Ohio.

Now, I'm home and really not planning to go out any time soon.
The sky is crying, and I know how it feels.
I think I'll pull up the video from 2009 of Willie at the Sand Gnats game.
It'll be good to hear his voice.

5 comments:

faustina said...

Chris and Julie Whelan

May 6, 2023

I wish I had a voice like Mr. Willie. You could hear him almost anywhere in Grayson Stadium. That voice made you smile, laugh, and reminded you that you were at the ballpark. While it is never quiet at a Bananas game, there will definitely be one voice that will truly be missing above all others. Love and prayers to you and your family Mr. Willie.

Faustina Smith

May 6, 2023

So very many memories of my dear friend, with most of them wrapped around good times shared at baseball games at Grayson Stadium, starting in the late 1990's with the Savannah Sand Gnats and going on into the last few years with the Savannah Bananas. His voice, calling out for the boys to "Put the wood on the ball!" and to fans to "Sit down in your seat!" always bring a smile to my face. My heart and prayers to his niece, Jackie, and all of his family. with my love, Tina "Teenie Weenie" Smith

faustina said...

John Katz

May 6, 2023

On 1 June 2014, I had the distinct honour of presenting “Mr. Willie” his Savannah Sand Gnats Championship ring. Mr. Willie was a true hero, watching baseball at Grayson Stadium when he wasn’t allowed to because of his colour.

My heart dropped when I heard the news of his passing.

Grateful for the time we spent together at the old ballpark.

Rest easy, old friend.
Guestbook Photo

Marty Jones

May 6, 2023

Rest in peace Willie Savannah baseball will not be the same without you!!

Linda Blankenship

May 6, 2023

I’m so sorry to hear of Mr Willie’s passing. Got to know him in going to Grayson Stadium to watch the Savannah Sandgnats play ball. Thoughts and prayers to family.

Michelle Howie

May 6, 2023

My daughter always look for him and I remember last time we talked told us he love us and will miss you

faustina said...

Marty Barrington

May 6, 2023

Mr. Willie was a fixture at Grayson Stadium for many years. That’s where I met him 12 years ago. So enjoyed hearing him cheer on the boys.

Tamra Haymans Benedict

May 6, 2023

Mr.Willie We will always remember you with smiles and shared baseball joy. You are a Grayson Stadium legend. Rest in Peace and remember to always swing away!

Janet Poteralski

May 7, 2023

I could always count on you sir, your smile, enthusiasm, and an unquenchable love of the game. Me and Grayson will miss you...
Guestbook Photo

Rick Ellison

May 7, 2023

Mr. Willie will be missed, RIP!

faustina said...

Michael Jaudon

May 7, 2023

“Sit down coach I’ll tell you when to take him out”

“Sit down in your seat”

Mr Willie you are a true legend and a sandgnat for life you’ll be missed man! Prayers to the family during this difficult time! Thank you for sharing such a special man to all of us!

faustina said...

9 May on Bananas Fans page:

Adele Johnson
He will be so missed. When I worked at the Sand Gnats (many years ago), there wasn’t a game that Billy didn’t make better with his chanting. Always so kind and made my shifts better. I am happy he met at least two of my kids a few years back. I am heartbroken but know his spirit will still be at the ball field and with his family. Rest in peace Billy, we love you.

Linda Larson
Put a plaque on his “reserved”seat. He was an icon.
Paul Harmon
Linda Larson His name was always on his seat....A plaque is a great idea.

Sally Yarber
I didn’t know about this until after the funeral…I wish I could tell his family how much his smile & comments at the games, meant to my husband & myself…he will be missed by lots of baseball fans

Tamra J Benedict
Are the Bananas going to add his photo to our Grayson Stadium walls of history as he really is a legend...
Rebecca Gerken Haynes
Tamra J Benedict I agree
Faustina SmithAuthor
Tamra J Benedict I know the Savannah Bananas had Panhandle Slim paint a picture with a quote from Mister Willie several years ago and were going to hang it in the lobby. That was in early November of 2019, as part of a celebration of his 81st birthday. I don't know whatever became of that painting.
https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2019/11/special-treat-for-mister-willie.html

Bob Lee
I knew him for over 15 years going to Grayson Stadium.i loved listening to all the stories he had for the years his dad took him to the stadium! Rest in Peace Mr Willie!!

Barbara Powers
Thank you. We used to sit right behind him at the Bananas games. He seemed such a gentle soul.

Dyrene Bell
Love and prayers to the family! I loved seeing him at the games!

Michele Futrell
An icon of the the local ball scene. He will be greatly missed. We loved seeing Mr Willie for all the years during Sand Gnats games and the Bananas.