Monday, May 1, 2023

mixed bag for a month of a*list

Why have I not yet addressed the AMC movies for April?
Hey, it was a busy month, okay?
Much like March was, that made me several weeks late with my recap.
With theatre works and the Savannah Music Festival continuing and Easter and Bananas and all manner of extra curricular activities, I've not had time.
So, there.
And I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the catch-up, either.
Just a bit of wham-bam action to take care of business.
(smile!)


With the last being first - as this is May Day and I've just completed this latest dance card at the cinema - here goes!
"Kisi Ka Bhai, Kisi Ki Jaan", the latest Bollywood offering for this year's Eid of Ramadan, "dance" card is not really a euphemism, but an actuality! This was my second time seeing it, as I drove on Tuesday to the Royal of Pooler to see it. And guess who else was there? Mi amiga Barbara! We had neither of us known the other would be there! Very funny!
Anywho, she was with me this second time, right here in Savannah, to watch Salman Khan dance and prance and change his hairstyle three times!!! Long wavy hair and full beard for the rough and tumble pseudo-dad for his three younger brothers-from-other-mothers - ooh la la, very nice!!!  Then, when he goes to meet his girlfriend's brother for the first time, he's cut his hair to a shorter style and neatened up his beard - sure, that works for me!!! For the wedding day, he cut off all the facial hair, so as to not scratch up that smooth cheek of his bride - oh, yes, that's fine with me!!! I even danced along with him - literally!!! - during the end credits for the big number done to nursery rhymes! How very cute!!!
And, no, Barbara did not stand up and dance, though she did dance in her seat.
(smile!)
As for the other two movies of the A*List trio - "Somewhere In Queens" and "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" - they've already been mentioned. I will add that I much preferred the Romano film, as it dealt with an Italian family in the construction business, with a father trying to get his son into college on a basketball scholarship. I even told Damon that I thought he'd relate well to it.
 

The previous week found me with a demon, a vampire, and a composer who met Mozart.
I kid you not.
The prime reason I saw "The Pope's Exorcist" was to see Russell Crowe again, but I had two other forces driving me to it: it was partially in Rome, and my cousins Lynn and Jenny had gone to see it. I found it a bit more horrific than I'd thought it would be... then I realized it wasn't actually any more so than "The Sixth Sense" was. And I have seen that one Bruce Willis movie several times! I guess it helps that it had a romantic bone in its body.
(smile!)
The one movie of this trio that I hope to see again is "Renfield"! Yes, it's a horror film, but it's fabulously, over-the-top funny, and has my two favorite Nicholases!!! Nicholas Hoult is the unfortunate schmuck that's been tending to Nicholas Cage for way too many years, even joining a support group to help work out his feelings. Very funny!
"Chevalier", like "The Pope's Exorcist", is a true story, but I didn't find the guy very compelling and I suspect some good bits were left on the editing room floor. Nice music, but nothing to write home about, if you catch my meaning. It had potential, but... oh, well.
 
The week of 14 -20 April found me at only two movies on my A*List, meaning I had an open dance slot that went unfilled.
Sill, I did get to "travel", jetting off to Japan and Italy for adventure!
"Suzume" followed a girl who had unknowingly slipped between parallel worlds as a young child, taking a toy bear along with her... and that left a portal open. Now, she is a teen and a demon beast has used that opening to wreak earthquakes in her world! It truly was a beautiful story, and I loved hearing spoken Japanese as I read the subtitles!
"Mafia Mamma" has Toni Collette as a supposedly forty-year-old (she's 51 and looks it) whose estranged Italian grandfather has bequeathed his vineyards and business to her. Although I did enjoy the ballsy woman she grew to be, the story was lacking, trying to be a screwball comedy, but also trying to be an empowerment message.
Ack.
"Suzume" had that lesson already handled, thanks.
(smile!)

And now I'm ready to start another A*List, though that won't be until Friday.
Maybe I'll take in "Renfield" again tomorrow, on cheap Tuesday.
That depends on when Tony and Laura get home, as I want to be here for their arrival.
They'll need to see a welcoming friendly face, and I have that!
(smile!)

No comments: