Wednesday, May 3, 2023

back to 1928 to chase away the blues!


Man in Chair had it so right: nothing like an old musical to end a blue funk!
I've had this play on my "really want to" list for about two weeks, trying to justify the cost.
See, it was at the historic Savannah Theatre downtown, and tickets were $46 + tax.
Yeah.
But I had almost justified it because I missed "Our Town" (from the ones with the Russian tale in February) and "Something's Afoot" (from some unknown group at Tybee Post Theatre), both of which were last weekend. 
That money "saved" would almost cover the ticket.
Up it went on the kitchen cabinet.
I almost went last night, but Tuesday was a bit of a long day, right?
That meant today would be the day for this bday65 treat!
Good thing, too!
The show was almost sold out, with just a few scattered seats left.
And when I asked if there was a discount for veterans, that knocked ten bucks off the price!
Hallelujah!!!
I had the clerk choose my seat and he gave me one on the right, with just two beside me.
Those were occupied by two women who were locals, like me!
Very nice!
Right place, right time.
(smile!)
 
Oh, but I haven't mentioned the play, have I?
It was one dear to me, one that the Armstrong Masquers had put on, with tall, cool, Gabe and his oh-so-talented self adding energy and laughs!
That's been ten years ago, at least.
"The Drowsy Chaperone" is its name, and it's a musical within a play!
That fellow in the camel-tone jacket is Man In Chair, the one who is speaking to us about this Broadway album he's playing for us.
The woman he's standing near is his real-life wife and together they are Michael and Shannon Zaller, long-time members of the in-house troupe.
This is another husband-wife team there, Matthew and Michelle Meece, playing Latin lover Aldolpho and the bride's chaperone.
Sent to seduce the bride (played by Shannon) so as to keep her in "The Follies", he grabs the wrong woman.
Oops!

But it all works out just fine in the end, with a grand finale that sees four weddings instead of just one.
There's the wedding of the showgirl to her man, as first arranged.
Then, there's the one between chaperone and Aldolpho!
Third is a wanna-be showgirl, Kitty, and the show manager, Feldzieg.
And, lastly, the widow Mrs. Tottendale - owner of the house where the first wedding had been scheduled to be held - and her loyal butler, Underling.
Marvelous!
And, now knowing the back story, I love this musical even more!
It was written as a wedding shower gift to Bob Martin and Janet Van Der Graaf, with their names being used for the groom and bride in the play.
How cool is that???
But, wait, it gets better: when it premiered on Broadway in May of 2006, it ended up walking away with the Tony Award for Best Original Score for Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison, and the Tony Award for Best Book for a Musical for Bob Martin (the groom!) and Don McKellar.
Magnificent!!!
I'm so glad I ended up making my own program booklet or I wouldn't have known that.
I don't know why there were no programs, but someone told me this venue never has programs for its shows.
That's okay: my homemade one marks the eleventh play I've been to this year!
I've posted them on the wall in my dining room.
Room is still available for the four or five shows I know to be upcoming, but space is most definitely filling up fast.
And just think: I've missed four plays...
such a busy year it has been for theatre-lovers!
Hallelujah!!!
(smile!)

No comments: