Sunday, July 2, 2023

2 dannys spotted me - oops!

Guess I shouldn't have worn such a distinctive shirt if I wanted to be inconspicuous!

But it's one of my favorites, one with a pseudo-baseball jersey look to it, in vertical blue and white stripes, and perfect for the cookout I would be off to after the service.

All well and good, as it was attire I've sported before.

(A little pun there! Just a wee joke!)

The problem was trying to get out of the house and over to Asbury Memorial.

You see, the dishes needed to be washed...
and then I needed to take a shower...
and the trash had to be taken out...
so, that last was the motivating factor!

I was amazed that I was able to park in the lot, as this was Billy's last Sunday before his summer vacation.
This was also Communion Sunday...
plus, there would be a Big Coffee Hour afterward...
and that usually brings folks to the pews.
(smile!)

I knew I was late, though.
The service starts at 11:15 AM, and it had been at least 11:30 when I left home.
Still, I thought I was doing pretty well...
until I ran into Danny Lewis as I cut through the kitchen.

"You're running a bit late," he said.
I replied, glibly, "But I'm in time for the sermon!"
"Nope," he said, "it started a while ago."
Oops!

Sure enough, Billy was well into the sermon.
I could tell, as he was tying together the stories he'd told during it.
Still, I had not missed Communion, so that was good.
I had not missed the collection plate, either, so that was good, as I had a check for it.
(smile!)

After giving and getting a hug from Billy, I headed for Holliday Hall.
I wasn't going to eat much, just get a few bites to tide me over until Hinesville.
I hardly had gotten a plate before Danny Beam made a beeline for me.

"You sure got in a bit late," he said with a grin.
"Well, you know how it is," I replied, brandishing my own grin.
"Sometimes I just can't throw myself out of my house!"
He nodded knowingly.
(smile!)

Danny Beam is in the choir, so he had a bird's-eye view of my entrance in my striped shirt.
I'd tried to be discreet, coming in quietly on the left where seating was more open.
It hadn't mattered.
There weren't enough people for me to hide behind!
If you squint just right, you may be able to spot me between the couple to the far left and the woman with the angel wing sleeves at bottom left.
See me?
Nah, I'm kidding!
The camera didn't pan in that spot, so at least folks watching online didn't see me.
Whew!
(smile!)

No comments: