Saturday, July 22, 2023

paternal cousins of augusta: karaoke and cocktails

I can't really speak of what alcoholic beverages were there, as I paid them no heed - I was there for the karaoke!!!

Mike knew it, too, so as soon as I arrived, he wanted to know what I was singing!

"Brand New Key", was first, of course! 

Then I did "Summertime" and "Downtown", getting folks ready to take the microphone and tap their toosies!

Even Aunt Barbara got up and danced with her grandson Leeman, as Mike crooned a Dean Martin tune!

(smile!)

Oh, yeah, that's the way you do it!

And that little 7-yo sang "Shut Up And Dance" and did so perfectly... choosing it so she could say "shut up" without getting in trouble.

Hahahaha! Nice trick!

Su had changed into a sparkly blue dress and was ready to take her first turn, choosing a Carpenters tune.

Her eyes were on her beloved husband the entire time as she sang "Close To You", with him mouthing the words along with her.

Very sweet, and nicely done!

Mike was over in the corner, getting ready for the next singers.

Yes, that would be plural!

Robbie had requested "We Will Rock You" and Leeman and Mike joined her for the lyrics, but we all sang the chorus!!!

Then I got to do "Suddenly Seymour", from "The Little Shop Of Horrors", doing both parts until the host took a chance and joined in.

Oh, I do so love that song, and trying to match Ellen Greene's voice!

Then, get this: my two cousins got up to sing!

Terrie joined them for a very enthusiastic trio rendition of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"!

What a joy to watch Bev sing along with her daughter and her sister!

I'm sure that was a high point for her, after a long few days of preparing food and washing teapots... after carefully choosing which ones from the hundred or so that she has.

She and Alan left shortly after that, with Aunt Barbara and Bonnie following suit.

That took care of all the over-50 crowd... almost.

I stayed to indulge in some of the food, to revive my energy, right?

Mac'n'cheese, collard greens, baked ham... so very good, especially as I had remembered to bring some Lactaid with me.

(smile!

Oh, here's one I'd forgotten, with Leeman and Su doing a duet of "Lemon Tree", a sad song I didn't know.

I sang "Shining Star", one of my favorites, then went for seconds.

While in the dining area, I was stopped short in my chatting with Terrie and her friends.

Who was singing "Highway To Hell"???

Holy smoke!!!

It was the mother-daughter duo of Jenny and Julia, and they were wailing away on it!!!

That's about the time I noticed the "older" folks had all left, except me.

Time to head out on the highway, looking for adventure or... a fourth viewing of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"!!!

(smile!)

No comments: