Monday, July 3, 2023

a dragonfly, o-hi-o, and cheesecake

Remember that I had a dragonfly light on the tip of my index finger yesterday?
That one had clear wings, with brown smudges on the edges, and a black body.
Well, this afternoon, as I was heading out for a cool matinee on this hot day, I was stopped short by another!
The type that usually visits me in the summer has a black body with black blocks on its transparent wings.
This one has a big white body, but the same wings.
I think it was waiting for me!
It lit there just as I turned back from locking the door...
and then, there it stayed...
clicking its wings, but otherwise motionless...
even posing long enough for me to zoom in!
I thanked it for the shot and explained that I really did need to go, and it left.
Nice!
 
After the movie, I popped by the Food Lion.
They have the cherries on sale this week, so I got another pound.
So juicy and sweet!
Tony texted back about the photo from Saturday with the kids, and he had an invite to a cookout for the 4th!
Anything I could bring, since I was at the store?
Sure, I could pick up one of those!
I finally chose the New York style, plain, so he and Laura could top it with fruit of their choice.
So lovely and creamy!
Then, I sat down to tune in the Bananas game, sure that it would have fireworks at the end.
Whoa, it was already into the seventh inning???
But it was not yet 8 PM, which made it 7 PM there at Canal Park in Akron, Ohio.
Ah, but they had started the game at 6 PM... odd.
That's okay, I was able to watch the kid on stilts serve up the yellow balls to the batter.
The Bananas ended up getting the point for that inning, were they acted as the visiting team and the Party Animals were the "home" team.
Every time the camera panned the stands, I looked for the telltale signs of yellow shirts on the fans...
but I guess those folks were just out to see what a circus looked like when the costumes didn't include spangles or fright wigs or red noses.
(smile!)
The Party Animals took the point for the 8th inning, continuing to secure their lead by 2 points.
Then came the critical 9th inning. 
When every run counts as a point, the Bananas had a chance to at least tie it up... but did not succeed in doing so, as they failed to get a runner across home plate before the last out.
The Animals jubilantly raced onto the field, lighting sparklers along the way, and doing a victory dance!
Hooray for them!
They won both of those Ohio games!
Now, it was time for some real fireworks!!!
There goes the countdown...
and I heard the cannon boom...
but the sky was still so light at 8:33 PM that only the initial burst of the explosive catalyst was visible.
A puff of grayish smoke was the only result.
More booms of the fireworks cannon, over and over!
More puffs of smoke vying for space with the clouds.
Well, drats.
Even the big finale, shown here, had barely discernible color.
That was okay, though.
Plenty of folks in my 'hood were shooting off bottle rockets and such, with an occasional burst of color making it through the trees.
In fact, that's been going on since Thursday night.
I expect the big blasts to go on at dusk tomorrow!
(smile!)
 
Oh, and here was a bright spot at the grocery store!
One of the workers there was trying to get a motorized grocery cart back into the store, along with a short string of regular carts.
I had grabbed that train as I came up to him, then pushed them inside, having to slow down for some shoppers on their way out.
A dark-haired woman had stopped when she saw me, watching until I had the carts in.
Then she came up with a big smile.
"Do you remember me?", she asked.
I knew her face, actually mistaking her for one who was in the neighborhood fb group.
"Jamie?", I asked.
No, it was Mara King, one of my former students!!!
Wow!
I told her that August will make six years that I've been retired.
She told me she still had her notes from my chemistry class, that she had so enjoyed learning chemistry from me, and that she has a daughter who is now taking chemistry and concerned about doing well with it.
She had told her, "Don't worry, I've got you on this, I still have my notes."
Isn't that amazing???
I just beamed!!!
How blessed to have that encounter!!!
Right place, right time... and I was doing a good deed, shining my light.
i thank You, God.
(smile!)

No comments: