Monday, July 17, 2023

two meetups in one day!

Actually, that's not entirely true, though I did have two outings today.
(smile!)
The first was with my nephew, Noah, with us off to see another Big D summer adventure flick before he has to go back to Missouri.
This time, it was "Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning", with me catching up on the few minutes of footage missed for a pee break the first time around.
In fact, I was able to take two pee breaks this time, because I knew when to go.
(smile!)
But you know what the teenager had to say?
"I've seen three movies this summer and every one of them had a cliffhanger at the end.
I don't like this trend at all."
I can't say that I blame him.
Cliffhangers are fine for TV shows, but not for movies, when it may be a year or more before "the rest of the story" comes to light.
For those who remember, I borrowed that phrase from Paul Harvey.
I always liked his radio show.
(smile!)
 
I'm so glad Noah had the chance to hear a real jazz concert while he was in town!
I had passed along the information about Spyro Gyra being at the Lucas Theatre this month.
And here's a photo snapped by his proud mom of her saxophone player getting to meet, and get the autograph of, Jay Beckenstein, who has played sax for the group since he and Jeremy Wall formed the group in 1974.
Pretty cool!!!
I had been introduced to their music back in late 1980 by a guy I was dating, Russ LeBarre.
He's the one I was with in New York City in February of 1981, when we went to the top of the World Trade Towers, watched trading at the New York Stock Exchange, and saw the play "Lunch Hour" on Broadway - what a rush to see Gilda Radner and Sam Waterston up on the stage!!!
After that, we had gone to Gray Rocks Inn, a now-gone ski chalet that was near Montreal, Quebec.
It was the second time I'd ever been skiing and the teacher was so patient with me!
Still, by the end of the few days we were there, I was even getting on the T-bar and riding up to the slope above the kiddie one.
What an adventure that had been!
Last November, I finally used the 41-year-old bar of soap from that trip to Canada.
I'd kept it in the drawer with my panties, to lend its gentle scent to them.
Even so, I've been trying to eliminate things that will hold no meaning to others, so I finally used it.
It lathered up just fine, too!
(smile!)
That movie today with Noah has closed out my A*List for the week as well.
I've already spoken of the one this afternoon, plus the Saturday family fun, both of which I'd gladly recommend.
So that just leaves the one seen Friday.
You'd think with a name like "Joy Ride" that it would be funny, right?
Ah, but you would be so wrong.
It was a movie desperately in search of genre, resulting in it being little more than a series of bad skits linked clumsily together.
Ack.

Let's see, what am I missing... oh, yes, the dinner tonight!
It's my first with Coastal Atheists and Secular Humanists, aka CASH, a group that Cedric and Bonnie Blue once belonged to (and may still).
The Sandfly location of Your Pie had been chosen, mostly because of its outdoor seating area and vegetarian options.
That was all fine with me!
Pizza for dinner? With limoncello sorbet for dessert?
Yes, yes, YES!!!
Celeste, the group leader, was the only one signed up to attend and she turned out to be a little older than I'd expected, but probably only in her mid-40's.
Later, Vicky - an Air Force veteran, now in her 50's and retired - and Esther - a younger woman, perhaps late 20's - both joined us from Effingham County.
What a nice range of ages!
I think I'll invite Sandy to join in the next time I go.
These dinners are weekly, though not on the same week day each time.
Who knows?
Perhaps I may run into Bonnie and Don at one in the future!
(smile!)

Now, I'm going for a fourth Tom Cruise movie, "Mission Impossible" from 1996, this one also courtesy of Comcast and gifted to my growing library with them.
The first had been "Rocketman", about Elton John, with Taron Egerton doing a simply fabulous job in this "jukebox musical" autobiography!
So, this action flick that started the MI movie franchise 27 years ago, is the second movie Reward they've given me this summer.
I'm looking forward to seeing if I remember any of it from way back then.
(smile!)

Last night, I indulged at last with the $1 Weekend Movie.
I chose another "MI" film -"Monsters, Inc."!
Hahahaha!
It's  nice 3-day rental, too, like the Disney/Pixar one last weekend.
I do so love this sweet tale of friendship!
I do so love the story of Sully and Boo!
I do so love the thought of laughter generating more energy than fear does!
And I do so love that I get to enjoy it with my breakfast for the next two days!!!
Plus, here's something it has in common with the "M.I." movie seen with Noah: both have bad guys that can disappear right before your eyes!
Magic!!!
(smile!)

No comments: