Thursday, July 27, 2023

mel's vacay: a day with knights

That's right!
The Melaness is in the 'Vannah for a much needed vacation!
The girl hasn't been out of Pennsylvania since the pandemic came to the USA.
I told her that was too long to not "wake up somewhere different" and she agreed, bopping on down to see me!
Yes, even though I have no extra beds or centralized A/C, she came!
Even though I warned her that she would be going to some pre-planned events, she came!
She drove in last night, just after my night with my brothers - perfect timing!
Gotta love the Mel!
(smile!)
 
So what was she doing?
Well, while some folks have bats in their belfry, she has flying squirrels in her attic.
No, seriously!
And she was trying to find the photos of them for me.
She also has solitary bees - like 500 of them - in her basement.
No, seriously!
They don't have a queen, they don't make honey, and they don't live in hives.
Very different from the bees around here!

Then we were off to a former engagement with former soldier, and fellow Boomer In Motion, Jackie, for a 'new' Disney flick in the Big D.
It's not the first time they've remade a movie based on a theme park ride, and surely won't be the last!
(smile!)
This time, it was "Haunted Mansion", and, believe me, it was scarier than I expected.
But, as it turned out, it was a variation on a theme I enjoy: an ordinary guy - played for real by LaKeith Stanfield - having a very odd day.
Very nice!
And get this: there was even a knight!
He/She/It kept showing up right there behind folks, weapon raised, trying to scare them away.
Here's the thing, though: once you crossed the threshold, you had a ghost companion with you forever, even it you went back home to your apartment.
In the case of Ben, the astrophysicist, the ghost is an old mariner who leaves wet foot-sized puddles all over the place.
Interesting - and fun - question!
(smile!)
 
Then the Melaness and I were off to another former engagement!
This one was at the Jepson Center For The Arts, so we had to fly from the southside AMC to downtown.
We were barely in time for "The Green Knight", missing the pre-movie talk and demo of the medieval way of life, but we were there!
And guess what?
I did, indeed, like it much better this second time!
Mel had never seen it, but she enjoyed it, too.
Then, we were off to home for a meal that wasn't popcorn.
I made it with Lime Cilantro Rice, plus her black beans and queso sauce, and it was quite satisfactory!
Then we needed to check on the weather.
I remembered that the forecast called for rain, and a pretty good chance of it, too.
Yes, when I listened to the WSAV weather song, that was it's refrain: rain, rain, rain.
Mel wanted to take some photographs of The Bird Girl, so she could translate them into a watercolor painting.
Yes, tomorrow would be perfect for that!
I have several umbrellas, too, should we need to break for cover.
At least we've had a cooling spell to welcome her here!
(smile!)

No comments: