Friday, July 7, 2023

revisiting pronouns

Still she/her for me, thanks.

After seeing Tomasz' 7 PM on the 7th film, my brain was still buzzing from it.
This occurred to me: I have known several transgender individuals in the last two decades.

The one I have known the longest was Daphne when we were first introduced, both of us going to AMUMC and to the Savannah Jazz Festival in Forsyth Park.
Eventually, he was able to undergo the surgery to become Dustin, the man he always had felt himself to be.
I did not know any of his family, so I cannot say what effect that change in identity had on them; however, I remember his mom having great difficulty accepting it.
When I was transitioning from married to divorced in 2007, I hired Dustin to paint my living room and bedroom, partly because I wanted them done quickly and professionally, partly because I knew he needed the money for his operation.

The second transgendered person I knew was also at Asbury Memorial UMC.
Born a male, Embee-Marie spent 5 decades in that body before she dared to undergo the surgery to become the woman she had always been.
Sadly, that situation ended in her death, no doubt due to her age.
There had been a movie around that time called "The Danish Girl", about an artist making the transition from male to female.
I thought of Embee-Marie as our version of that tale.

The third transgendered person I knew was met at Philo Cafe.
Roberta also regularly attended the Psychotronic Film Society screenings on Wednesday nights at the Sentient Bean.
Born male, I have never known her to wear pants.
She always has on a dress, or a top with a long skirt.
Had she ever had surgery to physically correct her gender?
I doubt it, as I knew Roberta to be homeless much of the time, so the funds for such medical procedures would have been unobtainable.
The most familiar I ever was with her came from a talk with her as a panelist on the topic of transgender and pronouns.
As Philo Cafe and PFS are now defunct, I have not seen Roberta since the pandemic began.
I hope she is well.

The fourth transgendered person is the child of two friends.
Born male and named as a Junior, Rozalyn is now off to college.
I do not know if she has yet had any surgery, but all who now know her accept her as a young woman.
Perhaps I might learn that story, now that her parents and I are seeing each other at Cinema Savannah films.
We had lost touch over the years, after I was kicked out of Doug's pool hall.
I should try for a luncheon and see where it leads our friendship.
Their oldest child, a jazz musician, has recently hit 30.
That would be a good place for conversation to begin. 

In another two generations, it may well be the norm for folks' signatures to include the pronouns with which they identify.
For now, it is not common, but that day is coming.
I've already noticed it appended to the official signatures on emails from several nonprofit groups and have had the issue discussed at an American Legion meeting.
It doesn't matter whether my generation or those older accept it or not.
Younger generations are driving this change, and they will be the ones to inherit this great, green Earth.
Let's hope their minds remain open.

No comments: