Friday, July 7, 2023

betty and sandy for post-movie fun!

"Would that be Betty as in Betty Bombers?"
 
For sure!
We went together to the Cinema Savannah film, then out for a nosh!
How many times do I get to say 'nosh' and actually be with a Jew?
Right?
We meant to do a luncheon this week, but... time passed!
 
"Heard! I hear you talking! And who is 'we'?"

Me and mi amiga,Sandy!

"Great googly moogly! What are y'all eating??"
 
The nachos!
Can you believe I ordered this by myself once?
That's when I learned that they pack that plate!
Cheapest meal she and I have had in a while!
Just over 12 bucks with tax, and we split the cost, as well as all that food.
We even had to leave a little there!
It's a pile of food!!!
(smile!)
 
"So I see.
And just what was the movie?"
 
It was supposedly set in Rome, but it must not have been in the touristy areas, because I saw nothing that spoke to me.
Made in 2022 and inspired by the director's own experience as a child, "L'immensità" tracked roughly a year or so in the life of a tween born female, but now identifying as male.
It's a real-life glimpse into the effect of that child's transgender identity on the other family members as they try to determine if that is a real change, or a cry for attention.
The father flat denies it; the mother accepts the new identity in private, but not when others are present; the younger brother mostly accepts it, but ends up siding with the father; and the barely school-age girl just wants the family to make peace with each other.
This would make a good introduction to folks trying to understand what transgender means.

"Sounds pretty serious."

Yes, but it has genuine flights of fancy that are hilarious!
My favorite was this: the mother puts on a record, and justthatfast, every one of them is involved in a song and dance routine while setting the table for dinner!!!
Absolutely hilarious!!!
Then the dad comes home and the mood gets somber because he wants all to be silent while he eats his dinner.
Definitely not a healthy household... but a good movie.
Tomasz will have another good one toward month's end, but I saw it yesterday.

"Yesterday? But you already finished your A*List, right?"

That's correct, but "Past Lives" wasn't at AMC.
It was over at the NCG - which I now know stands for Neighborhood Cinema Group, thanks to Laura! - and Carolyn had turned me on to it.
A Korean film, it follows two characters, with a third thrown in as time proceeds.
When it begins, it's 1998, and the two characters, Hae Sung and Na Young, are 12-year-olds - one a boy, the other a girl - who are friendly and fiercely competitive at school.
Then the girl's parents decide to move to Canada, even changing their children's names.
The girl decides to own the change, to tell classmates that she is leaving Korea so she can one day win a Nobel Prize in literature... and the boy accepts her tale, with her as the one in charge of her family's move.
Tweens, right?
Here's the thing: when the internet takes off, the boy starts searching for her, unaware of her name change, and eventually stumbles upon her father's film page and leaves a message.
The girl's mom mentions that on a call to the girl, passing along the phone number.
After all, the mom had chaperoned a 'date' between her and the boy just before they left.
The girl calls boy the next day.
But they aren't a girl and a boy now; 12 years have passed.
It's 2010 and they are both 24-year-old adults, but here's the difference: he still sees the image of her as "the girl", whereas she sees him as a man.
Eventually, she has to ask him to not speak to her for a while, as her career has stalled while she is trying to keep her schedule in New York City and his schedule in Korea.
He complies, though he is clearly hurt by her request.
Now it's the present-day, and another 12 years have elapsed she and he last spoke.
They've kept up with each other's lives via email and social media, but not vocally.
Now 36, she has been married to a nice Jew for seven years; he has been seeing a woman for over a decade, but they are taking a break from each other... and he has flown from Korea to NYC for a "vacation".
It truly is an excellent movie about choices: those made for us, those we make, those that turn out to be illusions.
Truly excellent.
I could see it as a subject of a master's degree in psychology.
 
"That's high praise! So I guess you'll be seeing it again when Tomasz shows it?"
 
You know, I'd like to, but I'm already booked that night.
The Jepson is screening "The Green Knight" and I already have that ticket, as I've been planning on that one since early May.
No clone yet, so... there ya go.
 
"Wait a minute, now.
I thought I remembered you not liking that movie when it came out two years ago. Am I misremembering, or what?"
 
Well, I think maybe I was not in the right mindset for it then.
Clearly, it's meant to be more tongue-in-cheek in spirit than I'd allowed.
However, given the other two movies in their Age of Armor Summer Film Series - starting with "A Knight's Tale", which is followed by "Monty Python And The Holy Grail", both of which I accept for their humorous intent - I need to give this third one a second chance.
You know I fervently believe in second chances.
(smile!)
 
"Yeah, you've mentioned that from time to time."
(smile!)
 
Now, time for "The X-Files" to pose Fox and Dana as "X-Cops"! Later!

No comments: