Friday, May 31, 2024

no longer fliss of kickstarter


Cleaning out closets and clearing off shelves aren't all I've been doing.
I've also been paring down digitally.
One of the problems my ancestors never had was trying to decide what to do with their sites on the internet and who would be in charge of taking care of that duty.
It's a very real issue now that almost everyone does their banking and bill paying online, manages their career profiles digitally, and uses social media to keep up with folks.
I'm following Dorothy's example and making sure I'm ready - or at least, more ready than i have been - for bad weather when it comes.
No one lives forever, not even me, as sobering a thought as that is.
Thus, getting my Estate Plan in order includes that part in the ether.
Some accounts I've outright deleted.
For instance, at one point I had more than 30 credit cards.
I would have thought that would be a plus for my credit rating, but not so.
That was found out last year when searching for new house insurance.
"Too much open credit" was the the reason two companies turned me down.
So, I've closed about half of those open lines now.
My credit rating didn't change, but it's still good to have those cards gone.
However, those aren't the only items closed out.
No more Target Circle, no more Lane Bryant for shopping, no more Staples.
It isn't like I used those anyway.
Why keep them?
And why keep the kickstarter account, either?
 

Once upon a time, I was at its door often, seeking projects to help bring to life.
I started with it in May of 2011.
A few months later, my stepdad died and I found myself with money from Mama.
I took a third of it to "invest" in helping creative folks make films or publish books or whatever.
That was before my time with Kiva.
Kickstarter worked on a different system.
Each project would involve the offer of rewards for investing at certain levels, but those would be predicated on the project making its funding goal.
If it didn't reach that goal, then no money would be charged from the backers and the project would wilt on the vine, so to speak.
That didn't happen often, but I saw it happen several times for projects I backed.
By March of 2015, I had amassed quite a few treasures from successful projects, rewards from creators for my sending funds their way.
However, I have not backed any new projects since September of 2016.
That's about the same time that I had begun pursuing a patent for my invention.
Money was tighter, and now that I'm retired it's even more so.
That's why I decided to go ahead and close down my kickstarter account.
I notified them on May 8, after logging in for what I thought would be one last time.
I told them to "delete my data", receiving notice that they would work on that and send me an email when the task was completed.
Today, just over 23 days since I requested that service, I finally was notified.
It's done.
Perhaps it took so long because I had invested in so many projects?
Nice to know they were so thorough.

No comments: