Wednesday, May 29, 2024

unexpected film shorts, too!


I had almost forgotten about the "Action: Young Filmmakers of Savannah" film festival presented at the Jepson museum by the Telfair Teen Arts Council! 

Correction - I didn't forget, but the topic didn't fit in with the others.

(smile!)

I had not even realized this was there until I noticed the door to Neises Auditorium was open and peeked in.

Holy toledo!

They must have known my love of shorts and wanted me to have this for my birthday!

What a special treat!!!

So I went inside and watched for an hour while the films streamed along, with me in their wake, there for the ride!

Nice imagery, yes?

(smile!)

All in all, there were 21 films, mostly by middle school students.

Wow.

Many of the movies were stop-motion, using clay models or toys.

I laughed at "The Rubik's Crew", with the toys solving the puzzle!

"Schoolyard Romance" was interesting, as it took the tale of a bully picking on another student and switched it into a love story.

"Arrested At McDonald's", like the one above, also used clay models; I know it was meant to be taken seriously, but I found the stupid customer to be quite humorous.


One, "Kinetic Fashion: Digital Threads", was about the design of four outfits that had an ocean theme and featured moving scales and lights.

THAT was pretty cool: clothing that looked like sea creatures!

Another, "The Tale of Hades and Persephone: A Silent Short Film", was live action, taking the Greek story and condensing it into a bite-sized romance - quite nice!

Two others were live action and were informational.

"Earth Day 2024" had a little girl explaining how to draw our planet.

Very sweet!

On the other hand, "How NOT To Make Breakfast" was a rather humorous piece - LOL!

However, "Why Are You An Artist?" was one that truly spoke to me.

The filmmaker interviewed people in different types of careers, such as musicians, painters, sculptors, graphic artists, and writers.

Fabulous!!!

That brought to mind this fb post from my multimedia painter friend, Bill Peterson, which is, surprisingly, a quote from an author.

"We make art to connect to life."

That certainly describes why I write: to connect to people and events, and even thoughts, in my life.

My guess is that is the reason all of these children turned to film: to connect with life.

What a perfect Route 66 birthday gift for me!

Thanks, y'all!

No comments: