Saturday, May 25, 2024

thanks for the birthday flowers, mary and pat

Wonder why these particular flowers 
are around the mailbox?
The deer don't like them.
I suggested the reason might be 
the peppery taste of 
the chrysanthemum petals.
 
Right inside the back gate
were these delicate-looking
lace hydrangeas.
I think Grandma 
would have enjoyed
their pastel 
French blue centers.

And here are the ones
that I look forward to
the oak leaf hydrangeas.
I'm not even sure
if it's the flowers 
or those giant leaves
that attract me more.
Together,
they are quite
the lush couple!

Believe it or not,
this flower was more than
seven inches wide
and two inches deep.
It's called - and rightly so -
a dinner plate dahlia.
This particular one is
5 days old.

These are also dahlias,
just not on such
a grand scale.
The largest had a diameter
of nearly 4 inches.
The reason for this photo?
They struck me as 
misplaced stars,  
still trying to maintain 
the relationship they'd had 
in the night constellation
of their origin.


Here's St. Francis of Assisi,
communing with
the lilies of the field.
Follow the line of sight...
and there he is,
not minding the fact
that these lilies are so diverse
in color, and petal shape,
and height.
All are to be loved.
I took this for Bill, the artist,
in California.
 
This photo was taken
for Mama.
She had daylilies 
circling every tree
in the front yard
of the home of my youth.
My birthday is always
a day with her.

 
Then there's this shot!
This lily speaks of the
from the time she 
"fringed the porch light" 
on for me.
I miss having her
only seven houses away.
 
What next?
I could show the photo
I snapped this trip -
as always -
but I'd rather show off
this leopard-spotted variety.
It was facing the ground,
so I had to get creative
in my stance
to catch this shot.
What an exotic flower
to close this session
in the Prokop garden!
 
Not that I was done
with flowers
just yet.
I made a beeline -
get the pun? -
for Kayak Kafe midtown
after I left Coffee Bluff.
The pita and hummus
wanted to sing me
a happy birthday!
Ah, so good,
down to the last note -
I mean, bite.
(smile!)

No comments: