Wednesday, May 8, 2024

dinner + dessert + downtown delight

Actually, everything we two did this evening was downtown!

First things first, though, was mi amiga's requested place to dine.

That would be Naan's on Broughton for Barbara, of course!

My choice was the Homemade Chicken Curry and Garlic Naan, which I generously shared with her, as she paid for parking.

What a spot, too: right in front of the Trustees Theatre!

That would be our ultimate destination... but not yet.

Wonder of wonders, there was no line at Leopold's!

I immediately suggested that we get a scoop for dessert.

My choice was the Black Cherry Lime Sorbet, which had bits of cherry for my tongue to and teeth!

Pink, so my eyes said, "Yum, cherry!"

Tangy, so my mouth said, "Yum, lime!"

Flashback to Lubi's, and to being a Lucky Ninja, too!!

Okay, now it was time for feature attraction: The 43rd Annual Thomas Edison Film Festival!

We were treated to a baker's dozen of short films, curated from the vast number available, at this event (which once was called The Black Maria Film Festival, before that moniker was judged non-pc).

My favorites were as follows.

"A Tiny Man" - which reminded me of "Monster House";
"Tracing Imperfection" - about the art of Kintsugi to mend broken pottery with gold;
"The Old Young Crow" - about an Irani boy living in Japan and interacting with ghosts (this was my hands-down, absolute, favorite!);
"Flutz" - comedy with ice skaters;
"Minus Plus Multiply" - the journey from being part of a couple to finding oneself whole again;
"Note Of Defiance" - group of dancers and musicians in Kharkiv, Ukraine, persist in practicing their craft, recognizing the need for culture by themselves and their community, reminding me of the band that played on as the Titanic sank;
"Will You Remember Me?" - a touching story of a nurse and the 100-year-old opera singer (Lucille Olson) in her care at a nursing facility up north.

That last one in my list was shown about a third of the way through the festival, but I've listed it out of order on purpose.
The panel discussion in the photo pertains to that film, produced by Will Dowler, a SCAD student, in honor of his Aunt Colleen Cove.
Both of them are in the photo, each Zoom'ing from their respective homes.
The older man is the SCAD professor, shown with the three other students that were involved with the making of the 13-minute short from over 40 hours of footage.
Wow.
it certainly made me appreciate even more the work that my sis-in-law Laura does over at the Azalealand Nursing Home.
What a wonderful evening this has been!!!
Good weather, too!!!
i thank You, God!!!

No comments: