Sunday, May 19, 2024

asbury, asbury, and a push from the universe


This is the reason I came to church this morning!
This is future math major, Samuel Povie, with Reverend Billy Hester, and a young woman I haven't seen for a while.
The appreciation to all the graduates was then and I knew I'd get to see Sarah Povie again.
She's home from college, having received her Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Sport Medicine, on top of her proficiency with the cello.
I am so proud of her!
Amazingly, she had wanted to see me, too: she's already received the check from me!
Her next course of action is a Masters in Nursing, in Augusta.
I made sure to tell her about Renee Fleming's book advocating music as therapy and she was quite interested in learning more about it.
However, that won't be right now.
They leave tomorrow for a Mediterranean cruise!!!
It's papa Doug's retirement gift to the family, as this was his last year teaching!
I'm so happy for them!!!
I also followed a Flounder's advice and spoke to Chris Kinkade about me acting in the Vacation Bible School again.
I also asked about his carpal tunnel surgery on his right hand and we compared scars.
Very nice!
(smile!)

This is the reason I was back at Asbury Memorial Church this afternoon.
Even though a sudden, and severe, thunderstorm came up, I drove there!
So, why did I brave that weather?
And why are these folks wearing ballcaps??
Indeed, just who are these people???
Ah, all good questions!
They are the members of I Cantori, and their annual concert was here this year.
Titled "Baseball, Birds and Boats", it naturally brought me running.
As I told member Ray Ellis (AsbMemCh's choir director), "You had me at 'baseball'!"
He agreed!
(smile!)
The conductor, Robert L. Harris, had specially chosen these from the American Songbook as they were his favorites.
Some were quite silly - "Polly-Wally-Doodle", "Coffee Grows On White Oak Trees" -
some were quite religious - "Lord of The Dance", "I Think I Heard Him Say" -
some were quite familiar - "How Can I Keep From Singing", "Beautiful Dreamer".
Some were even about hair color - "Black Is The Color", "Gentle Lena Clare"!
But the ones at the end of the program were the source of the program's title.
Those were "Little Bird, Little Bird", "Row, Row, Row", and, as the grand finale that warranted the headgear addition, "Take Me Out To The Ballgame"!!!
Woohoo!!!
I'm so glad I threw myself out into the rain!
(smile!)

And I'm so glad to be keeping Dane company!
Tony and Laura have the DISH, giving me access to different channels, like TCM.
Surprisingly, they had "Little Shop Of Horrors", and not the 1960 version.
I don't think of this musical version as a "classic movie", but apparently 1986 is long enough ago to qualify.
Love this scene from "Suppertime", with the three teens marching by in their heels and shimmery dresses as Seymour is giving Mushnik plant-feeding tips.
Bwah ha ha!!!
So, why is this a push for me?
"Little Shop Of Horrors" will be at the Lucas Theatre next weekend!!!
I wonder if that means it's off Broadway again?
I'm fine with that, as long as I can see it here, just as I did in 2015.
SCAD has it this time, as I saw on fb, and I was interested, but expected the tickets to be very expensive, as was their last production there.
Now, I know I have to be there!!!
I'd ask mi amigas, but they don't seem to be interested in plays these days.
That means I can see it on Thursday night, its opener!
I wonder if any of the cast will recognize my laugh?
(smile!)

No comments: