Wednesday, May 29, 2024

sharing a joke with the jepson!

When I told fellow Legionnaire Doug Andrews what I had planned for my birthday, he got it right away.
"Always good to look at stuff older than ourselves on our birthday!
We are younger by far in comparison! Haha!"
That's especially true down at the Telfair.
All the boys in the basement are much older than I...
but I still love looking at them...
especially 'Hermes, Belvedere' with his sweet tush.
Plus, this space brings memories of Italy, and both of those trips - in 2002 and 2012 - were very pleasant times!
When I told amiga Barbara what I had planned for my birthday afternoon, she had a different spin on it.
"That sounds very pleasant, almost meditative."
I do believe 'A Belle of 1810' would agree.
This is a little different perspective on her as she is concentrating on her image in the mirror.
Might she see the first fine lines of smiles past?
Are their slight laughter crinkles by her eyes?
Or is she making a decision about which beau to marry?
Perhaps she wonders whether she will dine on fish on Friday?
Then again, she may see her mother's eyes looking back at her.
Most of my time was not at the Telfair, but at the Jepson.
That's the usual case, except when I have company in town, as they always want to see 'The Bird Girl'.
And just what is up there where 'katniss' once gently hung?
There were boys in the belfry!
Well, not belfry, as there were never any bells hung there, but I wanted some more alliteration, right?
(smile!)
I don't know what new piece will be there, but it's good to know that construction is ongoing!
I had just left the "Of A Feather: Birds In Art" exhibit.
It had been my first destination today, to catch this display of fowl captured in paintings and ceramics before it leaves next month.
And which piece had captured my interest?
Of course it was "Morning Flight", by Zoltan Sepeshy.
Memories returned of "Cubist Mirror", part of the 2017 PULSE exhibit and the hours of fun I had on each visit for two years!
Today, though, it was the date of the painting that grabbed me.
1953... for real?
Yes, that's when it was painted, and when the Telfair bought it.
My goodness, it's just a few years older than me!
My next in-depth examination at the Jepson was "Shattered Illusions: Reconsidering Glassware through the Lens of Care".
What a mouthful... but what does it mean?
I found out very quickly that the title referred to the centuries of household help who tended for the fragile items, keeping them sparkling and beautiful for the proud owners.
The pieces in this exhibit included excerpts from "The House Servants Directory: A Monitor For Private Families".
That handbook by Robert Roberts, published in 1827, continued explicit instructions on the care and polishing of glassware.
I have no doubt that the household of John Wallace Owens had a copy of that manuscript!
Having invested so much money in full sets of crystal from Bohemia, he would certainly want to make sure his dinner guests would be well impressed with the status it conveyed upon him.
All of these pieces were emblazoned with a large "O" to denote to even a casual observer that they belonged to him.
Sherry glasses, wine goblets, glass coasters...
ashtrays, candy dishes, serving bowls...
every piece of crystal made with the same brilliant red...
every piece 101 years older than me.
Yes, those breakable bits were new in 1857.
My bits were all new 101 years later.
That's actually a joke for me, as I had to type that as "l o l" or change into numeric font.
Hahahaha!
And here where the painting of 'katniss' once held sway, a giant mirror now exists.
It's the third floor entrance to the new Children's Art Museum", and I have enjoyed having it here.
I don't think many visitors regard it as an exhibit, accustomed as we are to plate glass windows, but I like posing in front of it on each visit.
Today, I especially wanted to do so, as I was wearing my 'Japanese flowers" dress. 
I'd worn it in 1997, when my three brothers and I had taken Mama out to dinner for that first Mother's Day after Grandma died.
Today, I wore it in memory of both of them.
No, it may not fit quite as well these days, but that's okay.
Hardly anyone was at the museums on a Wednesday.
(smile!)
Plus, today is my actual 'Route 66' birthday, and that was the dress that came to my hand from the closet.
Just perfect!
(smile!)
And who do we have in these last two photos?
We have jokes for museum-goers like me!
Remember, I wear my glasses there so I can read all the labels.
That upper one has two unlikely fellows sharing a cubicle!
"Old Abe" - Lincoln that is, President of the USA during the Civil War - is bunking with "Cap Lee #3" - as in, Robert E. Lee, main general for the Confederacy.
What a clever inside joke for those who take the time to read!
Then there's the "Song And Dance Man" - with his dangling screw, a joke in and of itself! - swapping air inside the display cube with "Playdate", who's not shy at all about her nakedness!
Hahahaha!!!
Thanks for the laughs, y'all!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Fun fact: when I saw Meat Loaf in Las Vegas in 2013, he was 66 years old.
For real!
https://beachoffaustina.blogspot.com/2013/10/must-have-been-whle-you-were-kissing-me.html

When I found out he died two years ago, I did the math and wrote about his age at that concert back then.
Amazing.
I wonder if he thought of that birthday as his Route 66 age?
https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2022/01/rx-meat-loaf-day.html