Saturday, July 6, 2024

farewell from the past: 2011


Yesterday, fb shared a memory with me of McKay Schwalbach.
She was another who had helped me greatly to find my way after my divorce.
She was the unofficial leader of Drinking Liberally Savannah, a group which met weekly at various restaurants that could accommodate the 12 to 20 who came.
That group was how I met Bonnie Blue and Don Jarvis (who I would later see at MENSA dinners), Jim Casey (the baseball fan who gave me  the push to go to Iowa), Brenda and John Mattingly (the former math teacher and the Vietnam veteran), among others.
McKay made sure all were welcome, including the occasional Republicans or Democrats that wandered in to start an argument but were led to stay for a discussion instead.
Very nice.
After her death, I continued going to the meetings for a few years, but then other changes came around and the flavor of the group changed.
Still, DL gave me a place to help find my way, and McKay was a big part of that.
So, while I'm here, saying goodbye to Bev, I want to say farewell to McKay, too.
Thanks for being there for me.

1 comment:

faustina said...

july 5, 2011
Faustina Smith
· Shared with Your friends
from the Drinking Liberally Savannah page: It is with deep sadness that I must report the passing of McKay Schwalbach. She was an extraordinary woman who looked forward to every DL gathering. We will miss her greatly.
McKay's son, Matt, will arrive in Savannah next Tuesday to make arrangements. We will keep you posted.