Wednesday, November 16, 2022

catching up on some family history

Something different was needed for the day... what to do?
Checking my other email gave me the clue.
Myheritage.com had several messages about Smart Matches and Record Matches, going back for at least three weeks.
Time to do a bit of catching up there!
But first, I'd need sustenance, right?
Yes, yes, yes!
The last WNS was this prevening, and it promised a Thanksgiving feast.
Turkey breast, with cranberry sauce... check!
Garlic smashed potatoes with gravy... check!
Broccoli and carrots and dinner roll... check, check, check!
Pumpkin pie... check!
Plus DIY salad and tasty lemonade!
And what wonderful company I had!
As well as Pam and Walt, my usual charming dinner companions, Pat and Mary Prokop joined us, as they had last week.
That had been chicken and sausage gumbo, over white rice, with a side of the trivia game.
No trivia this time - hooray!
Not that it wasn't fun, but it sure did curtail our conversing.
We did plenty of that this time - hooray!
In fact, Pam and Walt and I shut down the place!
Truly!
We were the last ones at the tablecloth-covered table, not even noticing that everyone else had finished and gone while we pattered on about making gravy (thanks, Justin Sutherland!) and how they met and the sugar industry when Walt was still working.
I sure am going to miss talking with that old couple!
(smile!)
The good thing is, speaking of our histories put me in the right frame of mind to get a little more done with my genealogy.
So, what awaited me?
A lot of information of Grandma Lee's aunts and uncles!
I had no idea that her dad was one of eleven children!
Then again, they lived on farm land out in Waukeenah, Florida, a place that is still unincorporated and quite rural.
That's Jefferson County, biggest little town is Monticello.
I hadn't realized it, but I've got a lot of ancestors that lived, and died, out there. 
All I knew for sure was that my Great-Uncle Sam - Grandma's little brother and namesake of their dad - had a pecan orchard that had been the family home for generations.
His daughter, Lulu, has a petting zoo and farm out there now.
I haven't seen her since her dad's death in 1974, when she was not yet school age.
The next time I go visit Penny in Tallahassee, maybe she and I will go there.
(smile!)
So, back to my story about these Great-Great Aunts and Uncles I never knew!
I found out all of their names, though only the first names of some.
However, doing my due diligence, I eventually unearthed several of their birth and death dates, as well as names of spouses and their children.
I guess those kids would be my fourth cousins?
Grandma's cousins would have been Mama's second cousins... so, third, not fourth, for me.
They would be fourth cousins to my nieces and nephews.
That sure does get complicated in a hurry!
And just who were these ancestors whose names I don't recall ever hearing?
Well, the one whose photograph I found was Rosa Elizabeth Grantham.
Born in 1875, she was the younger sister of Grandma's father, Samuel.
She married a man with a last name of Cooksey...
a surname I never heard associated with our family!
Their older sister, Jessie Irene, married a fellow named Rape, another surname I was unfamiliar with.
Then there's Annie Laura, born in 1886, their youngest sister, who wed a Gramling man.
Rosa had ten kids; Jessie had seven; Annie had eight.
Not that their brothers didn't be fruitful and multiply, so lots of Granthams are out there.
For instance, Grandma was one of five children.
There were other Great-Great Aunts and Uncles, but I'll have to hope someone else digs up their full names and dates of importance.
I've spent three hours - yes, three hours! - in that rabbit hole.
Time for something else, like washing dishes and warming the bed.
It's going into the upper 30's tonight.
ACK.
Glad I got some windows covered up!
Just one more question:
I wonder what their Thanksgivings looked like?
(smile!)

No comments: