Friday, November 4, 2022

into the night

Not literally, folks, so don't get excited.
I do so love that movie!
So, I've rented it for a $1 Movie Night from Comcast.
One of the highlights for this first viewing - I have the movie for 48 hours and intend to see it at least once more! - is the scene with David Bowie as an English hitman, thinking he was found the guy with the missing six emeralds first stolen by the Shah when he abdicated back in 1978.
Or was it 1979?
It was one of those two years.
I was stationed at Galeta Island in Panama and he was whisked there for a while, all hush-hush.
Anyway, Jeff Goldblum is on the street, waiting for his ride, when he is accosted at gunpoint by the hitman.
 
I could tell they were both having fun in that scene!
And just what ride was 'Ed Oakley' awaiting?
This absolutely beautiful convertible, with its fins for miles, and its hubcaps all gleam, and the logo "The King lives" emblazoned in sparkly letters on both sides!
RAWR!!!
By the way, this was from earlier in the film.
That's "Ed" driving, while "Diana, like Princess Diana" is scooched down on the passenger side, hiding from Shaheen's henchmen.
And just how had they come to have that lovely vehicle?
Well, after "Diana" had landed on the parked car of "Ed" at the airport, he had taken her to the marina, thinking she'd be out of his life then.
But, no, Jake told her she wasn't welcome there.
So, "Ed" drove her to Hollywood, where her brother, "Charlie" lived, again thinking she'd get someone else to help her and he'd be off the hook.
Nope, that didn't happen!
That's Bruce McGill as "Charlie" the Elvis impersonator, as they were called then.
He was none to happy to find them there, so he bounced out and they bounced into his car.
(smile!)
I really like that word.
Bounce.
Sounds like something being done for fun, right?
I was most definitely in need of fun, too.
For almost four hours today, I did something different.
It doesn't show up very well in this photograph.
Those two windows in the sunroom?
Well, they're insulated from winter drafts now.
I even left the sea stars and shells strand hanging in place, so I could still enjoy it.
I'm planning to use that room when the cold sets in.
It's part of my new groove, that variation in where I have brunch and what I do while I have it.
It's such a bright and cheery place to start the day!
So, instead of draping off access, as I have done in years past, my choice is to keep that space open.
The windows will be covered in clear plastic and I'm hoping that change will be sufficient to allow me to sit in there in the mornings.
Toward that goal, on Wednesday I bought the window insulation kits, with the plastic already cut to fit.
That involved me going to three different places before I found them.
Trying to shop local, I'd started at Maycrest Hardware.
Nope!
They didn't have kits, but they had sheet plastic for me to measure and cut. 
Yeah, that was a no-go... but I sure like their sense of humor at the propane station!
Next stop was Lowe's, as their website said they had them.
Nope!
After getting sent to Aisle 45 by one person, then Aisle 41 by another, I asked a person by a register and was told the store had not carried them in three years.
However, I give that salesman kudos for looking up the kits and finding them at ACE hardware stores.
My choice was the one on Mall Boulevard, as that was on my way home.
Success!!!
So, I bought enough for fourteen windows, nearly cleaning them out.
Today, I started in on the task.
First, the area to be covered had to be cleaned so the tape would adhere.
Then, the double-sided tape in the kit had to be positioned all around the window.
Ten minutes were required to allow the tape to rest, so that time was used to unfold the sheet of plastic and smooth it out a bit.
Then came the removal of the paper backing from the tape.
I chose to do that in stages, rather than all at once.
That's because I didn't want the plastic to get stuck somewhere it wasn't supposed to, as that would have necessitated me starting all over.
That was a good idea.
It may have taken a little longer, but at least it came out pretty well.
The hardest part was going up and down, and up and down, repeatedly, on the ladder.
Go up to remove the curtains, and the blinds for those windows with those.
Go up to clean the window frame and make sure it's dust-free.
Go up and start putting on the tape, not worrying about straight lines.
Go up and pull the paper backing off the topmost tape.
Go up and start placing the plastic onto the tape, pressing in place.
Go up and put the curtains and blinds back on.
Move on to the next window.
Phew!
Definitely something different.
I managed to get two of the four windows in the sunroom, as well as one of the three windows in my bedroom, before I broke for dinner and the movie.
Then, while listening to "Darryl Jones: In The Blood" on the AARP MFG site, I did one of the two windows in the living room.
I guess that was lucky for me.
I had expected more concert footage, as the man was with Miles Davis and Sting and the Rolling Stones, but mostly it was folks just talking about his style.
I managed to get that window done before the documentary was over, so that was good!
And now?
Now, to chill out and watch a little of "The X-Files".
Comet has the first three episodes again, so that'll be just fine.
No more ladder-climbing tonight!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

I did manage to get two more viewings!
One on Saturday morning with my breakfast!
Then, on Saturday evening, as there was naught I cared to watch.
Thanks for the 'mercial-free entertainment, Comcast!