Tuesday, November 15, 2022

the trick to good gravy is...

I've been treated to several Bravo Top Chef events since began using Xfinity Rewards, but, I must say, this one was exceptional!

It isn't simply because the Minneapolis-based chef tonight, 
Justin Sutherland, was entertaining...
although he certainly was....
from the smiley-face cap (see happy.com)...
to the unique apron (missed that site for customized wearable art)...
and the at-peace-with-the-world man in between,
calmly working with the food as if he were among friends,
keeping up a delightful patter as he did so. 

It isn't because the recipe he selected - 
Turkey Roll with bourbon-cornbread stuffing - 
didn't turn out to be a work of art...
although it certainly was.
I swear, when he cut the baked treat into two pieces,
there were gasps all over the ZOOM world!
Just look at that gorgeous swirl!
Smell-vision can't come soon enough to computers and television.
Just imagine being able to waft those scents around the house! 

Mostly, I found this one to be especially fun because of the host, Jamie Miles.
Not only is he adept as a moderator, keeping up with the chatter in the chat box as it emerged, but he also kept the chef engaged with the audience by peppering his side of conversation with interesting queries.
I especially appreciated that after the lack of a moderator for the Pandora "After Party".
But, here's where Jamie excelled: there were more than 80 people in this audience, most of whom said naught, but he was quick to splice our comments and questions into his own.
And when I posted this question, he announced it with grand fanfare...
well, so it seemed to me, as it was my name he called out...
 saying it was from a "long-time Xfinity Rewards Member, Faustina"...
almost as good as Alan Ruck saying my name was beautiful.
Almost... but Alan had been holding my hand when he said that!
(smile!)
 
I'd asked, "Any gravy tips? I've never been able to quite pull it off."
And I tell you, Justin seemed to hit pause in his puttering in the kitchen to bring his focus into answering my question!
I also found him looking at me the entire time he was doing so, too.
Very nice!
I learned the importance of having equal parts of flour and fat - with no regard to that being butter, lard, or pan drippings.
Then it has to be brought to a simmer...
and kept there for a little while...
to get rid of the flour taste.
How 'bout that?
Yes, this was definitely a fun experience!
Thanks, y'all!!!

No comments: