Wednesday, November 23, 2022

a madman, a muppet, and a murder of...

crows!
Ah, if only.
No, this was a murder of cannibals.
What else would you call a group of those animals?
With but one exception, these were all once-and-done movies for me.
I don't intend to ever, ever, ever see them again.
And just what were they?
Monday was "You Resemble Me", seen with the physicist and already discussed.
Tuesday, I took myself to "The Menu".
I must admit, I was hoping for another "Knives Out" type of movie, with a few guffaws thrown in with the gore.
That's not what I got.
Even the presence of Nicholas Hoult and Judith Light couldn't balance out the madman chef - with his crazy loud hand claps between courses - and the Muppet.
I had felt the need to converse with Barbara, as she saw it over the weekend with Kal and Carolyn.
 
me: Just saw 'the menu', pretty good. Nice to see Judith Light is still around.
 
boo: I always liked Judith Light. What did you think of The Menu other than our gorgeous coastline?
[It was partly filmed at Jekyll Island's Driftwood Beach.]
 
me: Good low-key horror. Did not like the girl Margo/Erin. She looks just like the Muppet elfish girl in 'the dark crystal'. Unnerving to watch her.
 
boo: Margo was the smartest one there.
 
me: Not true. Chef told her what she needed to do and she did it. He also told the the others and they did not do it. They chose to stay and die.
 
boo: Yep she paid attention.
 
me: That's because that's what she did for work. She listened to what her johns wanted and did it. 
 
I'm talking about Anya Taylor-Joy.
That's one odd-looking female.
I've seen her before, but it wasn't until this one that I saw she was a Muppet.
And, hey, I love the Muppets... I truly do! - but not this Muppet masquerading as human.
Just creepy.
And that brings me to the third of the quartet of films at the cinema.
Billed as a romance and coming of age flick, it was neither.
I came straight out of the cinema and texted Barbara.
 
me: Fair warning: 'bones and all' is about cannibals. So, don't go into it expecting a romance. Just saw it.
 
boo: I'd seen the previews and surmised as much. Thanks for the warning.
 
me: I missed those. Lots of cannabalism, lots of blood. Straight up horror.
 
boo: The Menu was more horror than I expected. I only went to it because of Ralph Fiennes and it being filmed here.

Yeah.
That meant all three of the movies I'd seen with what would have been my A*List were movies I never cared to see again.
What's that about "would have been"?
Well, knowing that the A*List was going up in price, I logged into that account to see what options were available to lessen the hit.
Unfortunately, I missed the fine print for the $19.99/month plan!
That legalese noted the 10 states where the plan was not an option... and Georgia was one.
Fortunately, when I'd tried to buy tickets for the bfe and me on Monday, and the young man at the register couldn't make my ticket price null out, he called over the manager.
She recognized me at once as a regular and just comped my ticket.
(smile!)
So, that left a slot open on my AMC dance card -
a space for insertion of a fourth movie -
an opportunity to see something to wash out those bad tastes in my mouth.
That's exactly what "Strange World" did for me!
It salvaged the wreck of my movie week and gave me a cheery flick - with both science and adventure!!! - so I could end on a happy note!
Yeah, I'll be seeing that one again - and gladly!

Then, there are these from two weeks ago, all once-and-done.
This time, though, it wasn't because I didn't like them.
AMC only ran them for the one week.
Seriously!
Good thing I caught them on that A*List!
The first was a kid flick, "A Unicorn For Christmas", with said creature seemingly akin to Harvey the Rabbit., in as much as not everyone could distinguish between that rare beast and a pony.
(smile!)
Very sweet film, gone in the blink of an eye!
Then there was "The Return Of Tanya Tucker, with Balinda Carlile", a documentary of her making of a new album in 2019, when she was 60 years old.
I hadn't realized until then that she was a contemporary of mine, just a year older.
I also had never known that she based her stage style on that of Elvis Presley.
How very cool!
I'm glad Carolyn and contacted me about seeing it!
(smile!)
That last film is one I've only seen once... and that's all I care to see it.
I watched "The Estate" with the bfe earlier this month, with both of us expecting great things from the dark comedy.
Toni Collette! David Duchovny! Kathleen Turner!
Sadly, the story had too much in common with "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia".
That's a television show with a bunch of despicable characters, doing selfish and despicable things to each other and everyone in their path.
When I mentioned that show, the physicist agreed with me.
We knew its ilk, even though we had neither of us watched more that a few episodes.
Now, I feel a need to watch Kathleen Turner in a black comedy that I love to wash out the lingering aftertaste of this one.
I've already made a note to get "The War Of The Roses" with my next $1 Movie Night Reward from Comcast.
Yes, that will do nicely!
(smile!)

No comments: