Wednesday, November 23, 2022

i got a refund!

Talk about something different - this sure was!
When it arrived in September, I was sure there had been a mistake.
I had been expecting the second billing of the county property tax statement.
That always comes that month, to catch up the increase in property taxes imposed since the posting of the first billing (in February) and following the increase in property value.
I had filed at the end of March for the Additional Homestead Exemption for Age 62+, something I didn't know existed until a friend mentioned it on fb.
Say what?
Here's how it reads on the website.
"Individuals 62 Years of Age and Older May Claim Additional Exemption for Educational Purposes Individuals 62 years of age or over that are residents of each independent school district and of each county school district may claim an additional exemption from all ad valorem taxes for educational purposes and to retire school bond indebtedness if the income of that person and his spouse does not exceed $10,000 for the prior year. Income from retirement sources, pensions, and disability income is excluded up to the maximum amount allowed to be paid to an individual and his spouse under the federal Social Security Act. The social security maximum benefit for 2019 is $68,664. The owner must notify the county tax commissioner if for any reason they no longer meet the requirements for this exemption. This exemption may not exceed $10,000 of the homestead's assessed value.(O.C.G.A. §48-5-52)" 

Very nice, right?
If only I had known about it two years ago!
But, hey, I'm all about saving money from whatever sources I can, whenever I can.
That's why I've changed my phone service from T-Mobile to Mint (savings of $40 per month, for total of $480 per year) and my car insurance from GEICO to Liberty Mutual (savings of $200 per year).
So, what did I stand to save with this exemption?
Well, last year, I paid Chatham County $918.90 in property taxes, paying $469.05 in March 2021 and the balance in November.
Ouch.
This year, I paid $459.48 in March.
That did not yet include the new exemption for my age, which would be reflected in the second billing.
But, i never received that.
Instead, I got this in the mail.
A refund of just over twenty dollars.
No letter of explanation...
no final statement of 2022 property taxes...
just this check.
I tried to call the office, but didn't get through.
So, I looked up my taxes online.
Sure enough, I'd overpaid in March!
When the "Age 62+" exemption was applied, I was not only to the good, but overly so!
Ka-ching!
That meant I'd saved $479.53 in county property taxes this year!
i thank You, God!
And I thank Carol Osborne, too, at the Chatham County office, for filing that for me.
In March, I was unable to go to the office in person, so she graciously acted on my behalf.
i thank You, God.
 
Now, to finally deposit this at the bank, now that I've unearthed it on this table!
Best to get it done before it gets trapped under another load of papers!
(smile!)

No comments: