Wednesday, November 30, 2022

trans-siberian orchestra and the fb fiends

So, I'm all about getting something different every day this month, right?
Of course I'm right, it's all I've been talking about.
Well, today was supposed to find me at a live concert from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Seems like every year they put on the show called "Ghosts of Christmas Eve".
Pretty cool, yes?
(Though that pun was not intended. Plus, it only works for the Northern Hemisphere of Earth, as the Southern Hemisphere has their Christmas in summer heat.)
Somehow, I have missed knowing that in years past.
That meant I was determined to be on fb promptly at 4 PM for the show!
The thing is, here's the thing: it wasn't a FB Live event, as I had thought.
So, I clicked the link... which looked legit... but it wasn't.
The site that took over from the legit one when I clicked to play the live feed demanded that I set up a "free account" to watch the show.
Oh, and they needed a credit card for any future purchases.
So, after backing out twice, and double-checking the fb link, I established an account to log in for the show, being careful to use my 'junk mail' email address and being doubly careful to unclick the checkbox for enrollment into their video games.
Sounds easy, right?
The thing is, here's the thing: the site refused to let me log in.
It kept saying my password was wrong.
So, getting a bit exasperated as I was missing the concert, I requested to reset that.
And when I logged into my email, I knew IMMEDIATELY I had been scammed.
Justthatfast, I was on the phone to the credit card company.
They were already aware.
Two charges had just been made to my card, one for $1, the other for 78 cents, both to online gaming sites.
Nope!!!
Disputes filed, card cancelled, aggravation factor high.
And guess what the credit card company told me?
It said Facebook was rife with scam links!!!
Sigh.
I'm usually so careful to not click on virtual events on that site, and I won't in the future.
Meanwhile, I still wanted to see the concert.
So, I went to their site on youTube... and found this!
A dedicated fan had posted a pristine video of an earlier version of the show.
Not only that, but it was where it was filmed that caught me.
"Full show captured in 1080p HD on November 17, 2016, the opening show of The Ghosts of Christmas Eve tour from Sec 221, Row L, Seat 11 at the Covelli Centre, Youngstown, OH."
Hey, that's where Mike Young, my favorite fellow from Okinawa was from!
The town was named for his grandpa, as I recall.
That means it was no coincidence that I was there.
Right place, right time.
Thanks, squintyt4e.
I do so appreciate your attention to detail for this multimedia extravaganza, a retelling of "A Christmas Carol" in the form of a runaway teen girl and Ossie Davis as the Caretaker of Dreams.
He shows her the world in three ways: as a film they watch together in a cinema setting; as video clips on a multitude of television screens; and as the written program of a show long in the past.
I highly recommend it.
Just be aware that this is a concert... so it lasts more than two hours.
 
As for that credit card...
well...
it can't do me any harm...
nor can those who conned me into its use.
It's in tiny pieces now...
in two different trash bins...
just to be sure.
(smile!)

No comments: