Sunday, November 20, 2022

riders on the 'corn, riders on the 'corn

"Riders on the what? If you're referring to song by The Doors, it's "storm", dearie, not "corn"."
 
Hey, hey! Good for you for catching that!
 
"Thanks, but you didn't address the question."
 
Ya noticed that, huh?
 
"Yeah, I did. Was ist los? Who's going around on vegetables?"
 
Nobody, silly! The littlest girl and her sister were having an adventure and riding a unicorn! Only Miyah doesn't call the beast by that name, she says it's a 'corn. Cute, nicht war?
 
"And now you're sprinkling in some German???"
 
Hey, their Dada is German-American, so, it's part of their heritage now. Might as well get them used to hearing it earlier rather than later!
 
"Sure! Languages are easier for kids to pick up. So y'all were at Oglethorpe Mall for a play date?"
 
You got it! Too cold to play outside, that's for sure. Been down in the 30's at night, mid-50's today. Just brutal.
 
"Heard. So how did the girls end up on the mobile toy?"
 
Ah, funny story! Miyah didn't like the redesigned play area and kept asking her Mommie about riding the animal. Christina kept telling her "No." A little later, we'd gathered the girls together and went for a little walk. On our way back to the play area, Miyah starts in with "Can I have...?", getting a "No." to every question. I caught on to the pattern quickly. I told my first niece, "Just watch. She's deliberately asking for things that you'll deny, hoping you'll feel guilty and acquiesce when she asks for what she really wants." Christina already knew that game. "Yes, I know. That's why I already decided to let her ride the unicorn."

"Ooooo, very tricky! And she's only 5 years old!"

Yeah. She'll be 6 in March. Who knows what schemes she'll have by then!

"Hahahaha!"

Good thing Christina is getting a degree in Childhood Education. It's all online, from Western Governors University, in Utah. One of her cousins finished her degree in three years from there! The student pays for four courses for each 6-month semester, cost of books included. Working at their own pace, they can take their time or push to get more classes done. You see, when they complete a course, they can request another for that term AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. How about that?

"That's amazing!!!"

Just wait until you hear this. The University, which is fully accredited by the way, also assigns each student a mentor, a personal cheerleader, so to speak. Already finished the first test in a course? "Good for you!" That sort of thing. I don't know of any other school with such a quick response to their students!

"That sounds like a good job to have: student cheerleader!"

I agree. She was telling me all about it at the O-Mall while the girls played. How good to be able to have adult conversations!

"I hear you. But it sounds like the girls were being pretty good."

Yes, they were, until we got to Olive Garden. Then again, it was getting a little late and they were definitely winding down. I think the time change, with the early darkness, is throwing their minds for a loop.
I love this picture of her! I had snapped a shot of my pasta fagiole and was waiting for her to look up so I could snap her, too. But she wasn't cooperating... then, she finally did look at me... and what a look! HAHAHAHA! But I took the photo!

"LOL! She looks so much like you there!"

Yes, she does! A little exasperated, a little amused, and definitely like a Smith kid!

"Sure sounds like a wonderful time!"

Oh, yeah!
(smile!)

No comments: