Saturday, November 19, 2022

SIX

When I saw the program, that's the image that popped into my mind.
With the six scantily-clad female felons doing the cellblock tango in backlit cages?
Yeah... only, this time, it's men...
and they're going for "The Full Monty"!!!
Ooh la la!!!

This is Jerry, recently out of work, divorced, with a son to support and no means of doing so short of being a security guard at a mall.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, he would not be doing that!
So what's a man to do?

Well, he gets to grousing about the situation with his best friend, Dave.
Dave was let go at the factory, too.
His wife is still working, at one of the clubs, and tonight she's the emcee for the Chippendales show.
Say what?
And those guys make how much money???
With dollar signs flashing in their minds, Jerry and Dave start making plans to cash in.
One day, while 'training', they come upon a former coworker, Malcolm.
He had been trying to asphyxiate himself when they found him, as he has a sad life living with his mom.
No worries, he could join them and jiggle his dangly bits!
Okay, so now they had a trio for the stage!
Maybe dance lessons were in order?
Good idea!
And who should they find at the dance studio?
Their old boss, Harold, the man who had canned them!
Only thing is, he got fired, too, but wifey doesn't know.
So they coerced him into teaching them some moves.
Still, three guys didn't seem like enough.
Auditions were needed to flesh out the squad.
So this guy, Ethan, answers the call.
He can't dance, he doesn't have a great body...
but he does have a "special purpose", as Navin R. Johnson would say.
Shake it, don't break it!
Yep, he was in, big time!
Pun intended!!!
Harold had agreed to dance, too, for a share of that $50,000 pot, so now they had five.
Enter the man called Horse...
who, even with a bum leg, had bodacious moves...
and hey, everybody loves a big, black, man, right?
He'd give them a bit of diversity of color, Malcolm was the young one, and Harold was the old man, so with six they should have sex appeal for everyone at the show.
Then it was a matter of practice to get some dance in their pants before they slipped out of them!
Oh, yeah!!!
Add a showbiz pianist who resembled a flashy Frances Fisher who was rich with talent and sass and they boys were ready to strut their stuff!
And the songs... oh how I loved them!
As I told Jayme, I found myself having deja vu moments and singing along during the play.
She's the director of this musical, and one of the cofounders of the Savannah Stage Company, who, one and all, always treat me like royalty.
During the intermission, she managed to catch my eye - her at the back of the theatre, me in the front row - to let me know that she heard me laughing and whooping!!!
I was so glad to see her after the show!
Big hugs!!!
Then she snapped this photo of me and "Jerry", aka Wesley Pridgen, one of the most versatile actors in town and a mainstay of SavStageCo for the decade they've been here.
Bravo and kudos all around, y'all!
This has been the best play all year... and I've seen a good many!
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

I got these photos of the men straight off the program.
I don't know who took them, but kudos!
As variety is the spice of life, these are perfect for sweet dreams.
(smile!)

faustina said...

LOL!
Looking back through my emails, I'd send this text.

"Michael Jordan! Refrigerator Perry! Fabio! Who all got those references?"

Funny how dated some plays are!
Movies, too!