Saturday, June 22, 2024

from frederic chopin to mac davis, and more!

As advertised, Linda Combs' Revue was "A Little Bit of Classical, A Little Bit of Country"!
Of course, we at Asbury Memorial Church had known all month about this fundraiser for an elevator!
The reminder last week at the musical - with the guest singers from New York City! - was good to put it top of mind for my friends, though they had other irons in their fires.
That's okay, I made sure I paid my $15 for a ticket!
As it turned out, I was meant to be there.
Yep, right place, right time!
 
Mama would have loved the first half of the concert.
Frederic Chopin's "Nocturne, Opus 9 #1" led it off, with excellent piano work by Warren Heilman.
Though the comedic sketch, "Schroeder's/Sonatas #8", with "Lucy" pestering the boy pianist with talk of love and such, was definitely my cup of tea!
Lauren Page changed things up by performing the only dance number, bringing to life Nigel Hess' sad song of "A Broken Heart", appropriately wearing red.
Surprisingly, there was even a tune from John Denver, "Perhaps Love", sung as a duet.
All in all, an excellent way to start the program!
Too bad Pat Prokop wasn't able to emcee.
The retired meteorologist was home in bed, under the weather... hahaha!
Nice little joke from the last-minute stand-in!
(smile!)
The second half reminded me of "Hee Haw" and would have been Daddy's favorite, for sure!
Music by Randy Owens ("Mountain Music"), Willie Nelson ("Crazy", the song Patsy Cline made famous), Jimmy Webb ("Wichita Lineman", known as Glen Campbell sang it) - all songs I'd heard growing up.
My absolute favorite?
"It's Hard To Be Humble", written by Mac Davis and performed to great glee tonight by 'Clint Eastwood', 'John Wayne', and 'Walter Brennan'!!!
Just kidding!
That trio of imposters was Nick Deffley, Tim Steinhauser, and Steve Reed.
Great comedy bit, y'all!
Nice comedic turn for "It Was Almost Like A Song", too, as Ryan McCurdy sang it to Kate Jacobson.
(smile!)
Then, at night's end, the winners of the Silent Auction were announced... 
and I was on that list!
I'd actually bid on three items - the one in this photo, a golf sweater that featured Wile E. Coyote, and two colorful dishes (blue glass swan, copper fish mold) - just to be sociable, right?
When I checked at the intermission reception, I had lost two of the three bids.
I was sure that someone would snag this deal...
and I was right!
I was the one who got it!
For only $25, too!!!
That should come in handy for those days when it's too cold to venture off to the Purple Planet.
Wow... and I wasn't going to bid on anything!
(smile!)

No comments: