Wednesday, June 5, 2024

3 new moves on the dance card, no western swing


"I assume you're about to talk about your AMC A*List for the week, right? So, shouldn't that read 'movies' instead of 'moves'?"

That wouldn't hardly make sense. 

"Well, tell that to yourself, g'friend. You refer to that AMC membership as a 'dance card' all the time, and it's always 'movies' that you discuss."

Oh, okay, I see the confusion. That's okay. This time, I wanted to change it up, as none of these movies have the same vibe. 'Moves' just seemed to suit them better. 

"Very well. Carry on."

Thanks, I will! So, as I was saying, I had three new moves on my dance card this week, but no western swing. Sadly, "The Dead Don't Hurt" wasn't carried over, so I'm glad I saw that Viggo Mortenson masterpiece last Wednesday after the family dinner. As I told Barbara and Carolyn, that man wrote, directed, produced, starred in, scored, and played several musical instruments on its soundtrack. Incredible talent!!!

"Most definitely! I'm glad you managed to get it onto last week's A*List dance card."

Me, too. And guess what? He's a Route 66 birthday person, too, like me! He won't turn 66 until October, 5 days before the Dood becomes 57.

"That's a cool bit of trivia!"

Right? Okay back to this week's bonanza! "Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga" was the only one I watched alone. I liked it pretty well, especially as Anya Taylor-Joy didn't look like a "Dark Crystal" muppet this time.  

"I hear you. She really creeps me out."

Trust me, there's enough greasepaint on her this time to hide the muppet features. Plus, Tom Burke, the guy who portrays Praetorian Jack, that War Rig trucker, was very nice to watch. Like, very nice. (smile!)

"He certainly was! I do hope he turns up in more movies!"

Likewise, sister, likewise! He's actually been in a lot of English movies, just none that have populated any screens here in the States. 

"And you saw "Babes", too?"

I did, and with Carolyn and Barbara, one of whom had already seen it and the other who plans to watch it again with our missing amiga. I don't plan to ever see it again. I can't say that I liked any of the characters, and I certainly didn't care for the topic. Babies? Having babies, childbirth, prenatal visits to the doctor...  nope, not my cup of tea. If the first movie had been a wild tango, this one was a kinda sorta side shuffle through slop.

"Ack. That sounds pretty gross."

You got it! I guess I'm not girly enough for that one, whereas my amigas certainly are.

"Yes, they are, as you've noted before. How about "Ezra"? Was it good?"

You know, Barbara and Sandy saw it and liked it. I watched that with Christina today and she slept through part of it. I had thought the topic of autism would resonate with her, but I think the story just didn't have enough juice to make it nourishing. I had thought that its basis in truth (of the real relationship between Tony Spiridakis and his autistic son, during the son's teen years) would appeal to her, but it wasn't enough to hold her attention, even though my first niece was familiar with the comedian who played the dad. 

"Yikes. That's not good."

Agreed. It was good to see Robert De Niro and Whoopie Goldberg lending their weight to it, but the movie was too out of balance. We were expected to believe that neither of the parents knew what the hell they were doing? That felt like an off-note. The kid was already 12 years old and they didn't have an inkling how to deal with him? Right. Still, it was clearly evident that the movie wanted to show that genetics of both parents have a role in autism, so that was a good point. Still, it's not a movie I'd recommend.

"Thanks for the word up. And what kind of dance was that?"

An awkward box step between middle school kids, involving lots of feet tangled up.

"Hahahaha! Nice image, that!"

Thanks. Now, "Je Souhaite" is starting, so... bye!

No comments: